Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Iberian Percentage

Registered Users

People in Belgium are also a mix of hunter gatherer, Neolithic farmer, and steppe. What gives the Basque 100%? An unusually high amount of Neolithic? Eurogenes only has me at 4% Basque yet Ancestry has me at 25% Iberian. I wonder what the discrepancy is?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-16-2017)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoR1b View Post
    The answer is that Iberian percentages aren't specifically a reflection of Neolithic Atlantic coastal migration nor are they a reflection of Iberian conscripts in the Roman armies. It is a common ancestry in the region that is a mix of the same DNA found in the Basque since they get 100% Iberian with AncestryDNA. Basques aren't just a holdover from the Neolithic. They also have a lot of Steppe ancestry. Neolithic people also mixed with WHG people and the WHG people were all over western Europe. The mix of WHG, Neolithic, and Steppe DNA are what make up the Basque and what makes up a DNA signature in western Europe found by AncestryDNA.
    I think the Iberian has to correlate to some type of Vasconic western coastal category. On Eurogenes Basques get the highest Atlantic scores. I have no Iberian or Basque ancestors I'm aware of. I'm assuming my 25% Iberian comes from my French Canadian ancestors from the coastal port of La Rochelle right on the Atlantic coast of west/central France.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

England Germany Ireland Scotland Switzerland Cornwall
    I think the French/Swiss connection is pretty on point for Iberian. Ancestry only gives me 1%, but most other calculators give me a good chunk. My father, who has the Swiss/French connection, gets 20% on familytreeDNA (not that I think thats a good admix estimate). I believe Irish and Cornish people also tend to get pretty high Iberian, which is in part what fed into all the misconceptions about their origins.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    I think the French/Swiss connection is pretty on point for Iberian. Ancestry only gives me 1%, but most other calculators give me a good chunk. My father, who has the Swiss/French connection, gets 20% on familytreeDNA (not that I think thats a good admix estimate). I believe Irish and Cornish people also tend to get pretty high Iberian, which is in part what fed into all the misconceptions about their origins.
    why do you think Ancestry gives such low percentages for Iberian and Mediterranean in general?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    why do you think Ancestry gives such low percentages for Iberian and Mediterranean in general?
    I don't know if I'd go that far. Just different admixture calculators have different boundaries for their populations and sometimes its difficult to break out. For example, my parents are much more likely to show Balkan and Iberian, and I more often show Italian & North African. On most population maps there are clear overlaps between all 4 categories.

Scott's father is predominately German and shows 15% Iberian. I'm predominately English/Irish/German and show 10% Italy/Greece. I don't these numbers are necessarily underindexed. Its difficult to tell to because no two tests really have the same ancestral timeline in their estimations.

Registered Users

There was some news article a few years back that said Irish and Welsh or ancient Britons were most closely related to the Basques. If that were the case why are they only getting 5% Iberian instead of 100% like the Basques?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    Ancestry gave me less than 1 percent, low confidence et cetera for Iberian. EU36 gives me 12 percent. one of those is a gross miscalculation.
    Davidski over at Eurogenes wrote that the K36 test focuses on much deeper ancestry than 23andMe does. I imagine it would therefore focus on much deeper ancestry than AncestryDNA does too, and if so, that might explain how you could show 12% on K36 and <1% on Ancestry.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex n Harmony View Post
    Davidski over at Eurogenes wrote that the K36 test focuses on much deeper ancestry than 23andMe does. I imagine it would therefore focus on much deeper ancestry than AncestryDNA does too, and if so, that might explain how you could show 12% on K36 and <1% on Ancestry.
    I don't know what deeper is to them, but Ancestry says thousands of years. also the percent I mentioned before were the same sample analyzed by two different calculators, not two different samples. go figure....

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    I don't know if I'd go that far. Just different admixture calculators have different boundaries for their populations and sometimes its difficult to break out. For example, my parents are much more likely to show Balkan and Iberian, and I more often show Italian & North African. On most population maps there are clear overlaps between all 4 categories.

Scott's father is predominately German and shows 15% Iberian. I'm predominately English/Irish/German and show 10% Italy/Greece. I don't these numbers are necessarily underindexed. Its difficult to tell to because no two tests really have the same ancestral timeline in their estimations.
    could be that your paper trail that you've been lead to believe is different from your true genetic trail....

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    There was some news article a few years back that said Irish and Welsh or ancient Britons were most closely related to the Basques. If that were the case why are they only getting 5% Iberian instead of 100% like the Basques?
    I believe this was more or less debunked. The theory was based on the presence of a specific variation of the R Y-haplogroup which was most common in the British Isles and Basque populations. Since then, sample sets have expanded and its pretty clear the haplogroup is wide spread with various subclades in different areas.

For some time linguists have known that the Celtic origins of the UK does come from central europe. There is a close link between preRoman Celtiberians and the British people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast