Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Iberian Percentage

Ethnicity
    ~96% Euro., 2% Amer., 2%?
    Nationality
    American

Ireland Scotland England Germany Switzerland France

Question about Iberian Percentage

I am trying to figure out how I should interpret my Dad's Iberian percentage. He showed as 15% (6-24%) Iberian on AncestryDNA and 15.4% Iberian on MyHeritage. I am not aware of his having ancestors from Spain or Portugal (although there are a few gaps on the tree). My Dad has a significant amount of German ancestry and some Swiss and French ancestry. Is this Iberian percentage indicative of his having a somewhat recent ancestor from Spain or Portugal or is it more likely connected to his French ancestry? I am leaning towards the latter but would welcome any thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Scott; 08-13-2017 at 02:47 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I am trying to figure out how I should interpret my Dad's Iberian percentage. He showed as 15% (6-24%) Iberian on AncestryDNA and 15.4% Iberian on MyHeritage. I am not aware of his having ancestors from Spain or Portugal (although there are a few gaps on the tree). My Dad has a significant amount of German ancestry and some Swiss and French ancestry. Is this Iberian percentage indicative of his having a somewhat recent ancestor from Spain or Portugal or is it more likely connected to his French ancestry? I am leaning towards the latter but would welcome any thoughts on this.
    I'm part French and myself and my relatives who I have tested on Ancestry and MyHeritage get Iberian percentages which are in line with known French ancestry. You'll note on MyHeritage the highlighted regions for "Iberia" cover France also.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, East German or Eastern European 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Irish (mostly lowland Scottish origin) 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

dp (08-14-2017), JMcB (08-13-2017), Robert1 (08-14-2017), Scott (08-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    E-M5021
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a

I get 5% Southwestern European" on Geneplaza and I get minor North African on 23andme are these related?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Targum For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-Y7198
    mtDNA
    H1

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    I'm part French and myself and my relatives who I have tested on Ancestry and MyHeritage get Iberian percentages which are in line with known French ancestry. You'll note on MyHeritage the highlighted regions for "Iberia" cover France also.

It's funny, Ancestry gave me 10% Iberian and I have no idea where it comes from. I'm primarily, English, Scottish and Irish (approximately 88%) with a little Italian and German thrown in (approximately 12%). So I've been working under the assumption that they're picking up on an ancient connection between Iberia and the British Isles or they're just plain wrong.

In my case, their results only make sense if I go back a couple of thousand years and even then, it's a stretch.
    Last edited by JMcB; 08-13-2017 at 03:27 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (08-14-2017), sktibo (08-13-2017), Targum (08-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    It's funny, Ancestry gave me 10% Iberian and I have no idea where it comes from. I'm primarily, English, Scottish and Irish (approximately 88%) with a little Italian and German thrown in (approximately 12%). So I've been working under the assumption that they're picking up on an ancient connection between Iberia and the British Isles or they're just plain wrong.

In my case, their results only make sense if I go back a couple of thousand years and even then, it's a stretch.
    Might also just be plain wrong
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, East German or Eastern European 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Irish (mostly lowland Scottish origin) 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

ArmandoR1b (08-14-2017), JMcB (08-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-Y7198
    mtDNA
    H1

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Might also just be plain wrong
    Yes, I suspect so. Fortunately, I like some of the other things they have to offer and I didn't need their results to confirm anything. Nevertheless, they do come in at the bottom of my list as far as accuracy is concerned.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

ArmandoR1b (08-14-2017), sktibo (08-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    My Dad has a significant amount of German ancestry and some Swiss and French ancestry. Is this Iberian percentage indicative of his having a somewhat recent ancestor from Spain or Portugal or is it more likely connected to his French ancestry? I am leaning towards the latter but would welcome any thoughts on this.
    In absence of any documented family ties with either Spain or Portugal i would also assume it's connected with his French ancestry. From the few French results i have seen this socalled "Iberian Peninsula" region might especially be prevalent among southwestern French, which makes sense geographically speaking (it appears to peak among Basque people according to this sheet). However in fact it seems to be reported in other areas of France as well, i have also seen substantial amounts being reported for French Canadians.

see also this thread:
    AncestryDNA results from across Europe

Last edited by Don Felipe; 08-14-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

dp (08-14-2017), Lugus (08-14-2017), Scott (08-15-2017), sktibo (08-14-2017)

Registered Users

What's odd is that the maps for Iberian Peninsula go all the way north up to the middle of Great Britain right near Hadrian's Wall, and all the way east near the Rhine river which were the northwestern borders of the Roman Empire. The maps for Italy only go 2/3 of the way through France and don't even reach Wallonia Belgium. Since Iberia was conquered prior to Gaul or Britain I wonder if the empire used Iberian conscripts to then conquer the other two locations leading to the Iberian percentages previously mentioned.

If Iberian percentages were a reflection of Neolithic Atlantic coastal migration then why don't the maps go to Ireland and Scotland?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    Ancestry gave me less than 1 percent, low confidence et cetera for Iberian. EU36 gives me 12 percent. one of those is a gross miscalculation.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    What's odd is that the maps for Iberian Peninsula go all the way north up to the middle of Great Britain right near Hadrian's Wall, and all the way east near the Rhine river which were the northwestern borders of the Roman Empire. The maps for Italy only go 2/3 of the way through France and don't even reach Wallonia Belgium. Since Iberia was conquered prior to Gaul or Britain I wonder if the empire used Iberian conscripts to then conquer the other two locations leading to the Iberian percentages previously mentioned.

If Iberian percentages were a reflection of Neolithic Atlantic coastal migration then why don't the maps go to Ireland and Scotland?
    The answer is that Iberian percentages aren't specifically a reflection of Neolithic Atlantic coastal migration nor are they a reflection of Iberian conscripts in the Roman armies. It is a common ancestry in the region that is a mix of the same DNA found in the Basque since they get 100% Iberian with AncestryDNA. Basques aren't just a holdover from the Neolithic. They also have a lot of Steppe ancestry. Neolithic people also mixed with WHG people and the WHG people were all over western Europe. The mix of WHG, Neolithic, and Steppe DNA are what make up the Basque and what makes up a DNA signature in western Europe found by AncestryDNA.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmandoR1b For This Useful Post:

sktibo (08-15-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast