Thread: how likely could it be my aunt will be 100% black?

how likely could it be my aunt will be 100% black?

I'm curious I'm black American on my mom's side. And I am trying to get my mom's aunt to do the dna test. My mom's already done it and she's 90% African and 8% European and .4% south east Asian. But her father is said to have a white or mixed grandparent. Which means my mom would be getting at least 6% of her white ancestry from her dad. And possibly all of her white ancestry could be from her dad. As her dad would be somewhere in between 12-25% European. And my the east Asian is also from his side. My mom's sister wants to find her real dad since my mom's dad isn't her dad. And so we've been trying to get her to do ancestrydna to find matches on that side. I am kind of curious since my mom may have gotten admixture just from her father how possible is her sister could be 100% African? How possible is it from black americans?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    K2a

Netherlands Italy Italy Two Sicilies
    000,1%
    Mc Donald:
    Most likely fit is 62.4% (+- 9.5%) Europe (various subcontinents)
    and 37.6% (+- 9.5%) Mideast (various subcontinents)
    Dodecad World9:
    1 50% S_Italian_Sicilian +50% Dutch @ 1.083
    2 50% German +50% S_Italian @ 1.126
    3 50% Dutch +50% S_Italian @ 1.148

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    If she is from a long-resident African-American family, I would say the chances are slim to none. In my research of my African-American son-in-law's family and several others whose roots I've delved into, EVERY SINGLE ONE had some European ancestry. From what I've read from other researchers, it would be a HUGE surprise to discover someone of 100% African ancestry whose ancestors came here before 1808 when the slave trade was outlawed. Too many generations have passed for there not to be some European admixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    If she is from a long-resident African-American family, I would say the chances are slim to none. In my research of my African-American son-in-law's family and several others whose roots I've delved into, EVERY SINGLE ONE had some European ancestry. From what I've read from other researchers, it would be a HUGE surprise to discover someone of 100% African ancestry whose ancestors came here before 1808 when the slave trade was outlawed. Too many generations have passed for there not to be some European admixture.
    yeah my family's been hear since the 1600's. But my mom is 90% African and her dad is somewhere between 75-87.5% African. Her mom is pretty close to 100% African that's why I'm curious if my aunt will likely be 100% African since she has very little if any European from her mother's side. My grandmother never claimed to have European ancestry. She claimed native American. Which is untrue because my mom has no Native American ancestry.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Italy
    I've seen dozens and dozens of African American results on 23andme, which I judge to be the most reliable calculator for minor admixtures. As of yet, I haven't seen any who scored 100% African, and frankly I think it's possible that no modern African Americans are 100% African. Even various other New World groups that we might expect to be 100% African for historical reasons such as various Caribbean "Maroons" seem to have some detectable, albeit minor, European. Out of any group in the Americas, I would say the Surinamese "Maroons" are most likely to have some 100% African individuals.

That being said, certainly 97% or 98% African is a possibility (although perhaps a slim one).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fished For This Useful Post:

NiloSaharan (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by fished View Post
    I've seen dozens and dozens of African American results on 23andme, which I judge to be the most reliable calculator for minor admixtures. As of yet, I haven't seen any who scored 100% African, and frankly I think it's possible that no modern African Americans are 100% African. Even various other New World groups that we might expect to be 100% African for historical reasons such as various Caribbean "Maroons" seem to have some detectable, albeit minor, European. Out of any group in the Americas, I would say the Surinamese "Maroons" are most likely to have some 100% African individuals.

That being said, certainly 97% or 98% African is a possibility (although perhaps a slim one).
    yeah most African americans seem to be very mixed people imo. My mother though took 23andme and she's 90% African. She's only 8% European and her father said his grandfather had irish ancestry on a predominant level. If that's the case wouldn't that mean my mom's mom is likely 100% African. Mathematically it doesn't actually make much else sense you know?

Also my mom's matches who are 3rd cousins to her have no sub-Saharan African ancestry.... Which imply her father's claim holds true.... These matches are found on both ancestrydna and 23andme.

I don't how mathematically my grandma could be part white anymore than 0-4%?

Also maybe you're talking about phenotypes which is unrelated

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderose22 View Post
    How possible is it from black americans?
    It's certainly not impossible but the odds are not high. More research needs to be done but i would estimate that about 1% of African Americans might be 100% African genetically speaking. Several DNA studies have already pointed out that for several states such as South Carolina and Florida the odds might be higher to score in the 95-100% African range. But obviously also elsewhere this might still be possible.

A couple of years ago i did a survey featuring the AncestryDNA results of 350 African Americans. Among them 4 scored 100% African. So that's about 1% of the sample group (4/350). I verified that all 4 of them were indeed multigenerational African American and did not have any recent West Indian or African ancestry. Since then i have also seen several other AA's with 100% African scores on Ancestry. So they are by no means unicorns...But indeed uncommon to encounter. For more details see:

African American AncestryDNA results

Also on 23andme some African Americans have been scoring 100% African. This chart is taken from their 2014 study which used 5,269 African American samples (see this thread). Again about 1% falls within the 98-100% range:

Last edited by Don Felipe; 08-14-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (08-14-2017), NiloSaharan (08-15-2017), palamede (08-14-2017)