Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Saini
    Nationality
    British

Quote Originally Posted by Gandhara View Post
    I had a friend from Somalia and he told me that many somalians believe that they have some type of indian connection and personally I have seen some somalies who indeed look very south Asian. South Asian and somalies do share genetic similarities.
    I think Somalis have some M mtDna lines like South Asians.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Saini
    Nationality
    British

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    That's possible, but whether you are a Rajput or Jat or Gurjjar would depend on your family. Also Chauhan just indicates paternal line, so no matter Jat, Rajput, or Gurjjar, all three are equal claimants to the same paternal ancestry.

By most accounts early Chauhans were Gurjjar Brahmans (Bijolia Inscription* + Hansot Plate in the Gurjjar area**). So if a branch of the family became a ruling line that branch would be counted as Rajput.

*Bijolia Inscription:
    "विप्र श्री वत्स गोत्रे" Brahman (Vipra) of the Sri Vatsa Gotra.

**Hansot Plate:
    "To the Chauhans of Broach belongs the earliest of the Chauhan inscriptions discovered so far, viz., the Hansot Plates of V. 813=756 A.D."
    I recall reading somewhere that "Gurjjar" is not the same as "Gujjar". First is a title and second is name of Gujjar community.

If Chauhan have same paternal line, then does it mean most or all of Chauhans will have same yDna haplogroup?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wgjkkwjkf For This Useful Post:

parasar (09-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by wgjkkwjkf View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that "Gurjjar" is not the same as "Gujjar". First is a title and second is name of Gujjar community.

If Chauhan have same paternal line, then does it mean most or all of Chauhans will have same yDna haplogroup?
    No, chauhan is used by various communities exactly like chaudhary. The possibility of all of them having same origin is very thin.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

noman (09-04-2017), wgjkkwjkf (09-04-2017)

Registered Users

In Hindi or Prakrits we would say Gurjjar.**
    The Sanskrit form is Gurjjar. Another eg. Piyadasi = Priyadarshi

No, all Chauhans should have the same gotra, but the dauhitra (succession by son born to a daughter) system would lead to varying Y lines.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=pFfme2VFvOYC&pg=PA494

**EDIT
    Gujjar
    Last edited by parasar; 09-05-2017 at 02:29 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

wgjkkwjkf (09-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Saini
    Nationality
    British

In Hindi or Prakrits we would say Gurjjar.
    The Sanskrit form is Gurjjar. Another eg. Piyadasi = Priyadarshi

No, all Chauhans should have the same gotra, but the dauhitra (succession by son born to a daughter) system would lead to varying Y lines.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=pFfme2VFvOYC&pg=PA494
    Sorry if I am bothering you, but is Chauhan a gotra? I think you are saying that on some occasions a son born to a daughter could adopt name of maternal grandfather if there are no male successors in that line and thus bring different Y lines into a name? I suppose also if a male gets adopted it would happen too.

Thank you.
    Last edited by wgjkkwjkf; 09-04-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

There are chauhan gujjars, chauhan rors, chauhan jatts and chauhan rajputs. I don't see them having same male ancestor

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

noman (09-04-2017), wgjkkwjkf (09-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Chauhan
    Y-DNA
    R-L266
    mtDNA
    U7

Pakistan United States of America Azad Kashmir Jammu and Kashmir
    That's possible, but whether you are a Rajput or Jat or Gurjjar would depend on your family. Also Chauhan just indicates paternal line, so no matter Jat, Rajput, or Gurjjar, all three are equal claimants to the same paternal ancestry.

By most accounts early Chauhans were Gurjjar Brahmans (Bijolia Inscription* + Hansot Plate in the Gurjjar area**). So if a branch of the family became a ruling line that branch would be counted as Rajput.

*Bijolia Inscription: https://www.jatland.com/home/Bijolia..._.281170_AD.29
    "विप्र श्री वत्स गोत्रे" Brahman (Vipra) of the Sri Vatsa Gotra.

**Hansot Plate: https://www.jatland.com/home/Chauhan_Dynasty
    "To the Chauhans of Broach belongs the earliest of the Chauhan inscriptions discovered so far, viz., the Hansot Plates of V. 813=756 A.D."
    That's where I got confused too, when it talked about having a same parental ancestry for all 3 ethnic groups.
    23andme shows that all of the closest matches have surnames like: Singh, Brar, Dhillon, Athwal, Chaudhary.
    All these are Jatt surnames. Moreover, Eurogene K36 Oracle showed "Jatt_pahari" for my first population reference.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    There are chauhan gujjars, chauhan rors, chauhan jatts and chauhan rajputs. I don't see them having same male ancestor
    I have to agree with you. Most of the people think that if you are Chauhan, you have "X" ancestral lineage, no matter where you belong to. I used to think same, until 23andme showed all Jatt surnames for in my matches.

Same for Chauhary.
    From Wikipedia:
    The title is used by Ahirs, Gujjars, Jats, and Kammas.
    Kashmir

Registered Users

Sorry if I am bothering you, but is Chauhan a gotra? I think you are saying that on some occasions a son born to a daughter could adopt name of maternal grandfather if there are no male successors in that line and thus bring different Y lines into a name? I suppose also if a male gets adopted it would happen too.

Thank you.
    No bother at all!
    Chauhan is a clan. The first inscriptionally noted Chauhan had the Vatsa gotra.

Yes a regular adoption could result in a change of Y line too (at least at a high resolution level). At a macro haplogroup level though, since many of these castes (but not clans) were so endogamous, even the adoptee (who was almost always a relative) was likely have the same macro haplogroup.

One of the major emperors of India was a dauhitra:
    Samudrgupt calls himself Lichchavi-dauhitra the son of the daughter of the Lichchavis.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=WcnnB-Lx2MAC&pg=PA138

In fact while he still bore the Gupt suffix, Chadragupt considered himself to be of the Lichchavis - Lichchavayah.

The same has happened in our caste a number of times.
    "1980 (0) AIJ-SC 26590 SUPREME COURT OF INDIA Raja Dhrub Singh died in 1762 without a male issue but leaving a daughter by name Bonga Babui, who had married one Roghunath Singh, a Bhumihar Brahmin of Gautam gotra. It is said that he had another daughter also, but it is not necessary to investigate into that fact in these cases. On the death of Raja Dhrub Singh who was a jethoria Brahmin of the Kashyap gotra, his daughter's son (Bonga Babui's son), Raja Jugal Kishore Singh entered into possession of the estate of 'Bettiah Raj' and was in possession thereof at the date when the East India Company assumed the Government of the province." http://aijel.com/cms/1980/0/26590.jdf

This is a different clan from mine, but the due to adoption their paternal line is from my clan:
    "Rani Rukmini Kuer, 3rd Rani of Maksudpur 1853/1857 then Regent 1857/1859; she fought off the hostile claims of a collateral branch, and was confirmed in her inheritance under Act XIX of 1841 on 23rd November 1853; she adopted the minor son of her daughter and installed him on the Gaddi on 21st March 1857, and continued as Regent; she was openly sympathetic to the mutineers and was declared hostile by the British in 1857; consequently the Maksudpur Fort was de-militarised, cannons confiscated and retainers disarmed; she died in 1862."
    http://www.indianrajputs.com/view/maksudpur
    Last edited by parasar; 09-05-2017 at 12:38 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

wgjkkwjkf (09-05-2017)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    The theory is that they have the same ancestor. I agree that reality may indeed be otherwise.

Some have retained detailed names through the point of common ancestry.
    Eg. Sidhu Brars
    "Our ancestors, the Sidhu Brards, were the Kshatri Rajput warriors, and our ancestor Jaisal founded and ruled the principality of ... My father would make us recite the names of our paternal ancestors up to thirty or forty generations, just as children learn multiplication tables. ... Instead of telling us baat (night-time stories), my father would make us count these peerhi (generations) up to Jaisal or Bhatti"
    https://books.google.com/books?id=UUdYFH9skIkC&pg=PA8

15. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

wgjkkwjkf (09-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

steppe cultures - 38.1%
    karasuk-e scythian (2000-3000 years) - 20.2%
    andronovo-srubnaya (3000-4000 years) - 8.4%
    yamnaya-afanasievo-poltavka (4000-5000 years) - 9.5%

ancient farmers - 35.0%
    west european farmers (4000-5000 years) - 0.0%
    levant (4000-8000 years) - 5.1%
    neolithic-chalcolithic iran-chg (5000-12000 years) - 15.6%
    east european farmers (5000-8000 years) - 14.3%

southeast Eurasian - 21.3%

eastern non africans (modern) - 3.5%

western european & scandinavian hunter gatherers (4000-5000 years) - 1.0%

african - 1.0%
    east african (modern) - 0.5%
    west african (modern) - 0.5%

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

cercle (09-05-2017), Kurd (09-05-2017), misanthropy (09-10-2017), noman (09-05-2017), parasar (09-05-2017), Targum (09-06-2017), Varun R (09-05-2017), wgjkkwjkf (09-05-2017)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast