Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Caucasus Results Comparison

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Armenian, Russian
    Nationality
    American

Armenia Russian Federation United States of America
    Hello, My ancestry is 75% Armenian and 25% Russian. AncestryDNA was able to actually show that down to the percentile, if you consider the Italian/Greek DNA Armenian.

AncestryDNA:
    Europe 38%
    Europe East 17%
    Italy/Greece 13%
    Low Confidence Region
    Europe West 5%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 3%
    West Asia 62%
    Caucasus 59%
    Low Confidence Region
    Middle East 3%

DNA.Land showed some very strange results, which do not correspond at all with my known heritage.

DNA.Land

West Eurasian 100%
    Central Indoeuropean 42%
    Includes: Abkhasian in Abkhazia/Georgia; Armenian in Armenia; Georgian/Megrels in Georgia; Iranian in Iran; Druze in (Carmel) Israel; Balkar, Chechen, Kumyk, Lezgin, North Ossetian and Adygei in (Caucasus and 5 other sites) Russia and Turkish in (Adana, Aydin, Balikesir, Istanbul, Kayseri, Trabzon and 1 other site) Turkey
    South/Central European 33%
    Includes: Italian/Bergamo, Italian/Tuscan and Toscani in (Bergamo, Tuscany and 1 other site) Italy
    Balkan 1%
    Includes: Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria and Greek in (2 sites) Greece
    Northwest European 8.7%
    Includes: Scottish Argyll_Bute_GBR and British in England; Icelandic in Iceland; Norwegian in Norway and Orcadian in Orkney Islands
    Indo-Iranian 7.6%
    Includes: Balochi, Brahui and Makrani in Pakistan
    Kalash 1%
    Includes: Kalash in Pakistan
    Finnish 5.3%
    Includes: Finnish in Finland
    North Slavic 1.8%
    Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine

Super odd, but interesting. Not sure how the two could be so different.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmoSlavLady For This Useful Post:

Anabasis (09-14-2017), Apex n Harmony (09-10-2017), XooR (09-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex n Harmony View Post
    So, given that my family scores well into the 90s in "Caucasus" on AncestryDNA (and my father a whopping 96%), I presume there are Iranian references included in the reference panel. However, if we're simply matching Iranian samples, why would we still show traces of South Asia and Middle East, when the Iranian samples themselves surely already contain South Asia and Middle East substructure? Am I missing something obvious here?
    I think a good explanation for that would be at what age/time period the SA mix happened in Iranian samples. SA samples are already a mix of various East and west eurasian components. Their genetic structure changed with invasions. Lets say for example, the SA population that mixed with Iranians lacked the east eurasian or siberian kind of mix, which is now found in modern south asians. So if an Iranian takes a test where samples are based on modern population, the similar mixture will be absorbed while the later mixture will stand out as SA separately.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Apex n Harmony (09-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Apex n Harmony View Post
    So, given that my family scores well into the 90s in "Caucasus" on AncestryDNA (and my father a whopping 96%), I presume there are Iranian references included in the reference panel. However, if we're simply matching Iranian samples, why would we still show traces of South Asia and Middle East, when the Iranian samples themselves surely already contain South Asia and Middle East substructure? Am I missing something obvious here?
    That is a very high Caucasus %. For comparison I'm aware of only 1 Kurd from N Iraq who has tested with Ancestry, and I believe they had 76% Caucasus, 20% Middle Eastern, 3% S Asian, 1% European. Based on this my guess is that their Caucasus references include Armenians, and possibly a couple from the very NW of Iran. The 4% and 3% S Asian you and the N Iraq Kurd get indicates to me that you guys are a little more S Asian shifted than their Caucasian references.

If they had used references exclusively from N and C Caucasus then perhaps your SA would have been 10-15%. So in effect your SA % will fluctuate all over the place depending on how close their W Asian references is to you.
    EurasianDNA.com - A study of the population history of West & South Asia.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

Apex n Harmony (09-10-2017), ArmoSlavLady (09-10-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (09-10-2017), Sapporo (09-11-2017), XooR (09-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    That is a very high Caucasus %. For comparison I'm aware of only 1 Kurd from N Iraq who has tested with Ancestry, and I believe they had 76% Caucasus, 20% Middle Eastern, 3% S Asian, 1% European. Based on this my guess is that their Caucasus references include Armenians, and possibly a couple from the very NW of Iran. The 4% and 3% S Asian you and the N Iraq Kurd get indicates to me that you guys are a little more S Asian shifted than their Caucasian references.

If they had used references exclusively from N and C Caucasus then perhaps your SA would have been 10-15%. So in effect your SA % will fluctuate all over the place depending on how close their W Asian references is to you.
    Agree, Using modern population as an average is not the best option, since every individual has different admixture even within same ethnicity. Ancient works the best. E.g. My own community is my 8th match usually on oracles.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Kurd (09-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Please note that, "Southern Central Asian" haplogroup/marker L is often categorized as "South Asian". I think those %4 South Asia is mostly Y-DNA L. It is common among North Eastern Caucasians.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Hedda Gabler View Post
    Please note that, "Southern Central Asian" haplogroup/marker L is often categorized as "South Asian". I think those %4 South Asia is mostly Y-DNA L. It is common among North Eastern Caucasians.
    Incorrect, If you are suggesting that there is a correlation between haplogroups and admixture levels of S Asian within modern ethnic groups.

Haplogroups are irrelevant for describing admixture levels intra-ethnic group . They are relevant for describing historical migration routes and population movements .

Admixture levels generally follow geographical Clines.

PROOF:

Take a decent size sample with 8 great grand-parents belonging to a single ethnic group, whether Sorani Kurds, Feyli Kurds, Azeris, Saudis, etc, and you will find no correlation between admixture levels of S Asian and individual haplogroups
    Last edited by Kurd; 09-13-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: clarification
    EurasianDNA.com - A study of the population history of West & South Asia.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

XooR (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    L-M317

Cuba Vietnam
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedda Gabler View Post
    The L among the north eastern turkey is under L1b-M317>Ph8 while all south asian L's are L1a1 and L1a2. L1b and L1a had common ancestry at least 18600 years ago according to yfull which is very huge timescale to make such a conclusion. What is interesting is L1a1 and La12 also found among some Levant and Mesopotamian population but the most eastern L1b samples are from eastern Iran which is a different branch of L1b>m317>Sk1414. Thus i am pretty sure that there arent any recent contact between south asia and NE Turkey occured in last 18k years old. While interpreting the frequencies of haplogroup you should never neglect the timescales between haplogroup ages. You need to consider the deepest subsclade of haplogroup to make conclusions related with difusion of haplogroups.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anabasis For This Useful Post:

XooR (09-20-2017)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456