Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MtDNA Full Sequencing (FTDNA) : What will it tell me?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP371*
    mtDNA
    HV11a

Netherlands Noord-Brabant Croatia Croatia Split-Dalmatia Austrian Empire
    I have 5 matches total, 4 GD 1, 1 GD 0.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    Best hope is some scientist tests for your markers - submit to Genbank (help on Ian Logan's website) and it may end up on the official mtDNA tree.

So far I am about the only Brit in my hg so no idea how we came by it. Since my trail ends in a rural farming community in Lincolnshire which is listed in the Domesday Book I tend to conclude we've been there a long time but that could be wrong of course. There was significant Roman settlement nearby so arriving with the Romans used to be a pet theory of mine (or wishful thinking!). Maybe when they test all the remains from the Roman cemetery I will have a breakthrough.
    Thank you. I've compiled a submission file request from Ian Logan, and emailed it to him. If all is well, and he replies, then I'll submit to GENBANK. I don't know if it can help me ascertain origins of H6a1a8.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    Hey, deadly77.
    It is very recent in mtDNA, but results in the last few years have moved my mtDNA results from being connected with about a third of Europe, to the Celtic British Isles, and now down to two counties.
    All as more results come in and sub-clades of more specificity can be defined.
    I'm still curious to know how @Saetro gained so much information on his H6a1, when I can't gain as much detail on my H6a1a8. Saetro, is there more to your mt haplogroup? Did you manage to process a submission to the FT-DNA projects while they were still functioning? Did you perhaps find an alternative H6a1 project that I've missed. I'd appreciate any help that you can give me please. Both the H & HV, and the mtH6Genome project appear to have been abandoned for at least a year.
    Last edited by A Norfolk L-M20; 08-28-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    yDNA: L1b2c L-SK1414 (Oxon/Berks at Generation 9)
    mtDNA: H6a1a8 (Norfolk at Generation 9)
    Hidden Content .

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

deadly77 (08-29-2017), JMcB (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    U152: A9024/BY3644
    mtDNA
    H1c3b 'Helga'

England Wales
    I am walled on my mum's line (1845 in Salford, England) and I hoped the FMS would open a door or two.

I turned out to be H1c3b and have 92 matches (21 0GD) most from Scandinavia. It is said to be 1,000 yrs old with its origin in Scandinavia.

No door has opened as yet but hopefully soon

BTW my kit is a GenBank example (GU289555)
    http://www.thecid.com/mtdnatree/ppl/...dad0e10dd.html

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    With the FTDNA summer sale going on, I'm very tempted to buy the mtDNA full sequence as my mother's maternal line is a mystery / paper trail brick wall. However, I've heard that mtDNA testing doesn't really tell you much and it isn't as straightforward to use as Y DNA is. I really don't know much about it but I would like to know if doing the full mtDNA test would help me uncover my maternal line, and what sort of information I could get from it - any help or input is greatly appreciated... screenshots of tools you get with FTDNA's mt full sequence would be fantastic if you are willing to share that.
    Last edited by Solothurn; 08-29-2017 at 04:04 AM.
    AncestryDNA link: Hidden Content

LivingDNA link: Hidden Content

My known ancestral lines:

U152: A9024/BY3644 @ Vallum Aelium
    H1c3b (mother)
    U4a3 (paternal grandfather's mother)
    U198 (paternal gg grandfather)
    K1a-T195C! (paternal grandmother)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Solothurn For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-29-2017), JMcB (08-29-2017), sktibo (08-29-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I-L338
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2

United Kingdom England England North of England Norfolk Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by A Norfolk L-M20 View Post
    Thank you. I've compiled a submission file request from Ian Logan, and emailed it to him. If all is well, and he replies, then I'll submit to GENBANK. I don't know if it can help me ascertain origins of H6a1a8.

I'm still curious to know how @Saetro gained so much information on his H6a1, when I can't gain as much detail on my H6a1a8. Saetro, is there more to your mt haplogroup? Did you manage to process a submission to the FT-DNA projects while they were still functioning? Did you perhaps find an alternative H6a1 project that I've missed. I'd appreciate any help that you can give me please. Both the H & HV, and the mtH6Genome project appear to have been abandoned for at least a year.
    I found Ian Logan to be very helpful - he responded very quickly and I was able to follow his instructions and submit to Genbank. You'll get a couple of emails from Genbank which are essentially "Are you sure you want to do this?" and then it gets added to their database. Your name isn't on there, but your FTDNA kit number is.

Before you submit, I'd recommend that you run your SNPs through mitomap at https://www.mitomap.org/MITOMAP just to see that you don't disclose any SNPs linked to medical issues. I'm from England originally where I think this is perhaps less of an issue but now I live in the USA where there seems to be a bigger focus. I also ordered a report from Ann Turner which I found very useful at explaining the function and phylogenetics of my mtDNA. It didn't go into the geographical detail that you're looking at from Saetro, but it was well written and in my opinion worth the small fee I paid for it. Details and link to a sample report here https://isogg.org/wiki/Custom_mitochondrial_DNA_reports

Looking on here http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_..._sequences.htmI was only able to find a couple of people who were H6a1a8 - a couple of 23andme files from "Polyanna" and "East Anglian" - they appear to be submissions from OpenSNP although perhaps the latter is yourself.

All the best - I think perhaps there will be more mtDNA out there in the future as the price of whole genome/NGS drops in price.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-29-2017), Saetro (08-29-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I-L338
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2

United Kingdom England England North of England Norfolk Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by jjensen6 View Post
    I'm afraid I don't have any insights into the OP, but some questions I have are somewhat related so I thought I'd post here, rather than starting a separate thread. I apologize if this was a bad call.

Pretty much, what I'm wondering is, as an adoptee with (more likely than not) no paper trail to go off of, what can I "expect" to get out of full sequence mtDNA testing? Will it help me differentiate which ethnicities, based on auDNA testing, I got from my mothers side and by default (assuming they are different), which I got from my father's side? Will it give the same regional range as auDNA testing or is it even more narrowed down? Can it potential help me find out which side (assuming it's only one), that my Jewish heritage comes from?

I'm sorry if these are obvious questions. If I do go with the full sequence mtDNA with FTDNA, I just want to make sure I do it with my eyes wide open, unlike I did with the auDNA testing, which I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the different results.

And apologies again to the OP. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to take over the thread, because that's not my intent.
    It's important to bear in mind that the mtDNA only gives you one line one your mother's side - your mother's mother's mother's, etc. A bit like the Y chromosome on the parental line. So the mtDNA won't give any information about other lines from your mother's side, such as your mother's father and his ancestors for example and you can extend that to your mother's mother's father and his ancestors. So I wouldn't say that you can use it to rule out all non matches as being on your father's side. You don't get ethnicity percentages in the same way that you get for autosomal testing. FTDNA will provide a map of your matches and their earliest known ancestor, but not everyone fills that in. You'll get a migration map of the haplogroup.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

jjensen6 (08-29-2017), JMcB (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H5a1

European Union Netherlands Italy Lithuania Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly77 View Post
    It's important to bear in mind that the mtDNA only gives you one line one your mother's side - your mother's mother's mother's, etc. A bit like the Y chromosome on the parental line. So the mtDNA won't give any information about other lines from your mother's side, such as your mother's father and his ancestors for example and you can extend that to your mother's mother's father and his ancestors. So I wouldn't say that you can use it to rule out all non matches as being on your father's side. You don't get ethnicity percentages in the same way that you get for autosomal testing. FTDNA will provide a map of your matches and their earliest known ancestor, but not everyone fills that in. You'll get a migration map of the haplogroup.
    Thanks so much for the reply! That makes a lot of sense. I just feel like I've hit a brick wall and was hoping to get some more insights while I wait for closer matches to come in. Could still be interesting just to know, though....Thanks again for the help!
    Ancestry.com: Europe West-32%, Scandinavia-21%, Italy/Greece-18%, Ireland-13%, Europe East-6%, Great Britian-5%, Trace Results: 5%
    FTDNA: British Isles-54%, East Europe-32%, Southeast Europe-10%, Jewish Diaspora-4%
    DNA.land: Northwest European-55%, South/Central European-18%, North Slavic-17%, Balkan-7.6%, Southwest European-1.8%, Kalash-1.4%

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jjensen6 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-29-2017)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234