Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoR1b View Post
    Great thread. The next step to determine if those components can truly be replicated is to find more than 5 family groups where both parents and at least one child of each parental group is available. If a child gets something at a large percentage that the parents don't or if a child is missing something that at least one parent has at a large percentage of then the calculator fails.

Also, the excessive amount of Iberian in French and Italy/Greece in Iberia and France is disappointing. Those components at 23andme can be very helpful when they exist in amounts of more than 10% at 23andme but not at AncestryDNA.
    I might be able to help there: just ordered a kit for my mother and i have my father's results already.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, East German or Eastern European 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

ArmandoR1b (08-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Felipe View Post
    Thank you very much! I intend to create a separate page for British & Irish results eventually. I will also refer to that study which was done recently based on Ancestry's customer database. There were several news papers referring to that study and also publishing very useful regional averages which seem quite in line with what i found sofar even when based on a much smaller sample size

I have however not found anything yet on the original source of that study. Do you or anyone else perhaps have more details? I'm guessing it was just a in-house study by Ancestry which has not been published yet? I'm wondering exactly how many UK samples they used.
    I don't have the details, but ancestry's studies with their test appear to contradict what i see on this forum with British people posting their results, so I don't take ancestry's studies on Britain seriously.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, East German or Eastern European 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-08-2017), Robert1 (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H

Italy Sicily Portugal Poland Cape Verde
    Can you post the spreadsheet link? If you know the region for each Sicilian that would help a lot for me.

Registered Users
    Sex

Spain
    There is also the official averages :

https://www.nature.com/article-asset...s14238-s4.xlsx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sweuro For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (08-07-2017)

Registered Users

My father is 100% Wallonian Belgian. You can add his results if you wish.

Europe: 96%
    Europe West: 66%
    Iberian Peninsula: 10%
    Ireland: 6%
    Scandinavia: 5%
    Italy/Greece: 4%
    Great Britain: 4%
    Europe East: 1%

West Asia: 4%
    Caucasus: 4%

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (08-07-2017), Hayden (08-23-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    German
    Y-DNA
    +R1b/U152/Z36/CTS188
    mtDNA
    H

Germany Denmark Czech Republic Switzerland Austria European Union
    The German result seems to be mine. You could add trace regions Italy/Greece 1%, Ireland 1%, Finland/Northwest Russia less than 1%
    Y-DNA: R1b/U152/Z36/CTS4333/CTS7958, from Thuringia 1634, probably Alsace 1552, -- mt-DNA: H
    EUROGENES K13: North German 3.7, North Dutch 4.85, Danish 5.13, Swedish 5.44, Norwegian 5.7 -- West Eurasia K8: WHG 46.64%, ENF 39.09%, ANE 14.23%
    23andMe: speculative 26% French&German, 11.3% Scandinavian, 9.1% Eastern European, 8.8% British&Irish, 1.6% Southern European, 38% Broadly North Euro
    Known ancestry: 92.6% German (66.8% North German), 4.7% Danish, 1.8% Czech, 0.8% Austrian, 0.1% Swiss

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CelticGerman For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (08-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoR1b View Post
    Great thread. The next step to determine if those components can truly be replicated is to find more than 5 family groups where both parents and at least one child of each parental group is available. If a child gets something at a large percentage that the parents don't or if a child is missing something that at least one parent has at a large percentage of then the calculator fails.

Also, the excessive amount of Iberian in French and Italy/Greece in Iberia and France is disappointing. Those components at 23andme can be very helpful when they exist in amounts of more than 10% at 23andme but not at AncestryDNA.
    Thanks! I agree the Iberian category on Ancestry is really in need of improvement. Really confusing for many Iberian descended people that it tends to show up so low. Also I suspect that "Iberian Peninsula" is even reported in amounts of >10% for northern Italians but i would need to see more of those results. I have seen quite a few of parents & children results or also sibling results. Always intriguing to see the variation eventhough you would wish that the randomness of recombination will be limited.
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1b - Z220 A7066+
    mtDNA
    U4b1a2 - FGS

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    Most of my ancestry is from SE England. No ancestry from the continent that I am aware of for several hundred years.
    My only "genetic community" is SE England, but it seems my Europe West score is higher than the average in England.

Africa North < 1%
    Europe West 67%
    Ireland 21%
    Scandinavia 5%
    Great Britain 4%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 2%
    Last edited by ADW_1981; 08-07-2017 at 08:43 PM.
    YDNA: R1b-Z220 (A7066+) (1800's Stepney, London(Bethnal Green), UK George Wood b. 1782
    maternal-grandfather YDNA: ? Gurr, George 1843, Feversham, Kent, England.
    maternal-grandmother YDNA: ? Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    maternal-ggrandfather YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton mdka Ireland(?) < 1800s

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADW_1981 For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (08-07-2017), L1983 (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    I don't have the details, but ancestry's studies with their test appear to contradict what i see on this forum with British people posting their results, so I don't take ancestry's studies on Britain seriously.
    I'm interested to know how strictly they have applied their criteria for establishing a person's regional origins within the UK, 4 grandparents of sample having same origin or just based on place of birth for the sample itself or even merely place of residence? I was somewhat surprised at the rather elevated Jewish averages they came up with but otherwise like i said it's rather similar to my own findings:

THE GENETIC MAKE-UP OF PEOPLE LIVING IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE UK
    Country/Region Ethnicity above 1% (percentage within the average resident)
    The UK British (36.94%), Irish (21.59%), Europe West (19.91%), Scandinavia (9.20%), Iberian Peninsula (3.05%), Italy/Greece (1.98%), Eastern Europe (1.84%), European Jewish (1.46%), Finland/Northwest Russia (1%)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz4p6GKcLbW

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Can you post the spreadsheet link? If you know the region for each Sicilian that would help a lot for me.
    It's in the OP. There's two persons from Palermo, don't have further details for the others.
    Last edited by Don Felipe; 08-07-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by sweuro View Post
    There is also the official averages :

https://www.nature.com/article-asset...s14238-s4.xlsx
    Thanks a lot! Would you happen to know more about the samples being used for Ancestry's "Iberian Peninsula" region? I have read that possibly they are (mostly) from northern Spain but i have never seen it confirmed anywhere.
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast