Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom

The Frisians

Here is my draft text on the Frisians for the forthcoming book:

Arch-pirates they may have been, but there is archaeological evidence to suggest that by the end of the fourth century, some Saxon groups were not just raiding but settling westwards along the coast. Terps along the cost of Frisia were mainly abandoned during the 3rd century AD, leaving the area depopulated. New arrivals in the 5th century left behind pottery and burials connecting them with the Saxons. This has been difficult to reconcile with the fact that that both the earlier and later populations were known as Frisians to contemporaries, but it may be that the new arrivals were simply identified by the familiar name of the region.[Nieuwhof 2013.] This would go some way towards explaining the statement by Byzantine historian Procopius of Caesarea (c. 500 – c. 554) that the Island of Brittia was inhabited by Angles, Frisians and Britons.[Procopius, History of the Wars, 8.20.6-10.] For Frisians, read Saxons.

Such sites have even been found as far west as what is now Ponthieu in France, part of a region shortly to be conquered by Clovis, King of the Franks.[Soulat 2009.] The Franks surged westwards into Gaul as the western empire fell, giving their name to modern-day France. The Franks and Saxons were rivals in the pursuit of rich former Roman lands. The Frankish success in conquering Gaul may have been one factor in turning Saxon eyes across the Channel.
    As ever, free free to criticise.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (09-07-2017), Adrian Stevenson (07-07-2017), Agamemnon (09-10-2017), ajc347 (07-07-2017), Amerijoe (07-07-2017), Camulogène Rix (07-07-2017), Finn (09-07-2017), JMcB (09-08-2017), JohnHowellsTyrfro (07-07-2017), K33 (09-08-2017), kostoffj (09-08-2017), Radboud (07-07-2017), sgdavies@hotmail.com (07-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z326
    mtDNA
    HV

The fresh arrival of Saxons in Frisia is well documented. Is there also sufficient evidence that other North Sea Germanic groups like Angles settled in Frisia?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
    Is there also sufficient evidence that other North Sea Germanic groups like Angles settled in Frisia?
    I have read nothing to that effect, but perhaps you know more than I do. The impression I have is:

Map33.jpg

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Adrian Stevenson (07-07-2017), Agamemnon (09-10-2017), Amerijoe (07-07-2017), JMcB (09-08-2017), Radboud (07-07-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Nationality
    N/A
    Y-DNA
    I2a1-L621- PH 908
    mtDNA
    H 47

Very interesting Jean, and that is also my impression.
    Here are a couple of really useful references for the matter, which you probably already have:

"The early-medieval use of ethnic names from classical antiquity. The case of the Frisians" by Jos Bazelmans.

" Discontinuity in the Northern-Netherlands coastal area at the end of the Roman Period." by Annet Nieuwhof

This is surely not an isolated case; but it probably applies for the use of other ethno-exonyms, such as Veneti.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gravetto-Danubian For This Useful Post:

Jean M (07-07-2017), JMcB (09-08-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravetto-Danubian View Post
    Here are a couple of really useful references for the matter, which you probably already have
    I did not have the Bazelmans and am taking a look now, thanks.

For Nieuwhof, I think I'll stick with Annet Nieuwhof, Anglo-Saxon immigration or continuity? Ezinge and the coastal area of the northern Netherlands in the Migration Period, Journal of Archaeology in the Low Countries 4-2 (April 2013), pp. 53-83. It is more recent than the paper of hers that you mention.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Gravetto-Danubian (07-07-2017), JMcB (09-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea Germanic
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    I have read nothing to that effect, but perhaps you know more than I do. The impression I have is:

Map33.jpg
    In this respect this work from Nicolay is very valuable: https://www.academia.edu/9824995/The..._and_chapter_1
    "Finn, son of Folcwald,
    should honour the Danes.."

Beowulf

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (09-07-2017), Jean M (09-07-2017), JMcB (09-08-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    In this respect this work from Nicolay is very valuable: https://www.academia.edu/9824995/The..._and_chapter_1
    That is interesting. Some of the same themes are picked out in my forthcoming book on the Anglo-Saxons: kingship and how it worked.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Finn (09-08-2017), JMcB (09-08-2017), spruithean (09-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    "Celto-Germanic"
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-Z140+ Y7198?

Canada Netherlands Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland England
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Interesting read! Really makes you think about the early Germanic tribes and how they saw themselves and how they all interacted.

That is interesting. Some of the same themes are picked out in my forthcoming book on the Anglo-Saxons: kingship and how it worked.
    Should be fascinating!
    Y-DNA: I-Z140 (Y7198^?) (Scotland)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 (Ireland), R-L21 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Autosomal FF: 100% European (57% West/Central, 36% British Isles, 7% Scandinavian)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

Finn (09-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA
    K1

France Belgium Flanders Wallonia Occitania France Bretagne

Map33.jpg
    I don't really understand your arrow in the continent to Kent.

The Saxons settlements in the Litus Saxonicum, on each side of the Channel, were made through the North Sea.

Did you read the works of Lebecq about the Anglo-Frisan trade routes?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    german/irish/english
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP263
    mtDNA
    H42a

United States of America Germany Ireland Switzerland Bohemia England
    A propos of the Frisians, if you listen to Frisian but don't pay too close attention to the words, it almost sounds like English. It's uncanny.

Obviously English is partly descended from Frisian but still.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast