Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What did the Early Slavs look like?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Slavic + Thracian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian

Bulgaria European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Volat View Post
    Phenotype can change in populations if populations are mixed with other populations. Physical anthropologists have shown on several occasions that the shape of cranium and height of populations can change in a matter of several generations subject to diet, social and various environmental factors. The shape of cranium in certaion eastern Slavic populations changed from mesocephalic to brachiocephalic between 12-17th centuries in the regions that experienced least migrations.
    Isn't that information coming from a study on Czech bone material alone, of only Czech remains, not Eastern Slavic populations as a whole? The Czech republic had one of the biggest influx of foreign ethnic element (German) in Eastern Europe and the whole area was affected by the Thirty years war which made the region more diverse.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velislav For This Useful Post:

Awale (09-19-2017), Coldmountains (09-19-2017), Nibelung (07-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Slavic + Thracian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian

Bulgaria European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    You are apparently assuming, in advance, that all hundreds of millions of Slavs living today descend from some tiny tribe of 1600 years ago. That is demographically absurd. Whoever the "core" Slavic tribes may have been or whatever they may have looked like, they clearly assimilated a host of large local populations across half a continent. You have shown absolutely no evidence for your statements, only a priori assumptions.

Can you cite specific recent scientific papers supporting your elaborate hypothesis of Slavic phenotypes? Or are you essentially just imagining this based on your own personal impressions of the people you have personally met? Are you a certified forensic expert in these matters? Do you realize that modern scientific papers put very little stock in such arguable phenotypical classifications?

You are throwing away documentary evidence (written sources) in order to fit your a priori assumptions.

Yes, I agree they assimilated different peoples, I've listed them above. That's why there are different variations from a Slavic region to another Slavic region. But there were some original tribes that I think had all these phenotypes I've mentioned more or less. Of course it's only assumptions, just stating my thoughts on different matters as most of the forum users around. Who knows, I might be wrong. Hope to see the truth some day. I think you are taking this too serious, I have no scientific proof. And I doubt the science is dealing too much with phenotypes these days. It's an almost dead field as far as I know. And yes, of course I'm throwing away medieval written "proofs" about phenotypes - if you follow the logic of these ancient authors then at some point in Antiquity there was some mega race of red haired barbarians. Good stories for the city forums in ancient Greece but far from truth. Basically all barbarians of the Ancient world were described as red haired/blue eyed in some paper works, common barbarian stereotype.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Velislav For This Useful Post:

Coldmountains (09-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Probably they looked like a mixture of ancient Eastern Iranics (e.g. Scythians) & Nordics.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedda Gabler For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z283
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Slightly off topic and definitely off timeframe, but if we consider the Scythians are forebearers to the slavs ethnically, consider this badboy
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...seum-scythians
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sgdavies@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:

Hedda Gabler (09-14-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by sgdavies@hotmail.com View Post
    if we consider the Scythians are forebearers to the slavs ethnically
    They are not, except in some very minor way. The Scythians spoke an Iranian language and were descended from people who parted company with the ancestors of Slavs around 2000 BC. The picture is complicated, because waves of Iranian-speakers washed across the European steppe and up the Danube, and it looks like some of them penetrated up the Dnieper into the homeland of Proto-Slavic. But not enough of them to have more than a tiny impact genetically.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Awale (09-19-2017), Brent.B (09-14-2017), Coldmountains (09-19-2017), George (09-14-2017), Michał (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.B View Post
    I am curious what the Early Slavs looked like. When I say Early Slavs, Im referring to the Prague-Penkov-Kolochin complex.

I've read about ancient writings from the Byzantines and Arabs that say the Slavs were "ruddy" or "white" with fair complexion and hair. But that is about as much as I know.
    Amount of Slavic absorption among Iranians would be speculative. However Slavic/Scythian/Sarmatian were in close proximity. Dniester- Dnieper are river names in Sarmatian.

The name Dniester derives from Sarmatian dānu nazdya "the close river."...........The name Dnieper is derived from Sarmatian Dānu apara "the river on the far side".[9]

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silesian For This Useful Post:

Brent.B (09-14-2017), Illyro-Vlach (09-15-2017), Mis (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA
    H28

Slavs hardly have any kind of Scythian/Sarmatian ancestry. We don't know how Scythians/Sarmatians in Ukraine looked exactly like, but they should be rich in R1a-Z93, which is almost non-existing among modern day Slavs. We have some DNA from Volga Scythians/Sarmatians and they don't look like Slavs at all too. There is some Z93* in Russia/Poland and some R1a-Z93/Z2124 from Tatars, but it nowhere above 5%. The similarities between Slavs and Iranics are more ancient, because both ultimately originate in Corded Ware, so they are rich in R1a and share some linguistic features.
    Last edited by Coldmountains; 09-19-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    Y-DNA: R1a> R-M417> R-Z645> R-Z93> R-Z94> R-Y3> R-L657> R-Y4> R-Y6> R-Y5> R-Y920*

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coldmountains For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (09-19-2017), Awale (09-19-2017), Michał (09-19-2017), Pribislav (10-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Coldmountains View Post
    Slavs hardly have any kind of Scythian/Sarmatian ancestry.
    Reconstruction of Sarmatians from southern Ural dated to 4-5BC. Sculls were found in Filipp's Kurgans.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Volat For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (09-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Scythians 4th century BC. Location is Zaporizhia region in present day southern Ukraine near Dniepr river and north of Azov sea. The steppes of Ukraine.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Volat For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (09-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central 75% + 25% Masovia
    Nationality
    Pole
    Y-DNA
    R1a > M198 > YP 1337

Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Volat View Post
    Scythians 4th century BC. Location is Zaporizhia region in present day southern Ukraine near Dniepr river and north of Azov sea. The steppes of Ukraine.

Even the hair style and coats are like among old-fashioned Russian peasants.

Last edited by lukaszM; 09-19-2017 at 11:37 AM.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lukaszM For This Useful Post:

Brent.B (11-01-2017), Pribislav (10-04-2017), sgdavies@hotmail.com (09-19-2017), Tomenable (09-19-2017), Volat (09-19-2017)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast