Thread: Video clip - Balochistan

Registered Users
    Sex

Video clip - Balochistan

Here is a funny video involving Balochi kids and a Pashtun reporter from Khyber TV. It is in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Balochistan. The reporter himself is not sure exactly where he is , but is heading in the direction of Turbat.

He tries to talk to the kids in Urdu and Pashto but they don't understand him, and then one of the kids tells him "ma urdu na zaanam, ma balochi zaanam' ( at 2:40) meaning " I don't know Urdu, I know Balochi", which is similar to Kurdi, and then at 1:47 another kid says "bistan" referring to the number of goats they have, again similar to Kurdi, meaning they are 20.

Moral of the story is if you are traveling in Balochistan off the beaten path, if you are not familiar with Balochi, then at least know some Kurdi.....

Incidently, this is not too far from Khuzdar and Surab (Pakistan), places where the Kurds from the Khash area of Iranian Balochistan migrated to after they lost some of their territory in the Bazman, Khash and Taftan areas of Iranian Balochistan to the Yar Ahmadzai Baloch.

EurasianDNA.com - A study of the population history of West & South Asia.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (04-26-2017), Kaşmius (04-26-2017), Kulin (04-26-2017), Varun R (04-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    @Kurd, do you speak Kurdi or did your family assimilate to Baloch culture and Balochi language?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

Kaşmius (04-26-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Potohari Rajput
    Nationality
    Pakistani-American

Afghanistan Pashtunistan Sikh Empire Pakistan India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Very interesting. And have most of the Kurds assimilated and speak Baloch now?

Registered Users
    Sex

Yes, I can speak Urdu, Saraiki, Kurdi, Pashto, and Punjabi. Due to their bravery and fighting skills, Kurds were induced by grants of land, tax free, and sometimes forced to migrate to Khorasan and Balochistan from W Iran around the time of Shah Abbas, around 500 years ago. This was done to control some of the rebel tribes in Balochistan, and also as a means to collect taxes for the Persian Shah. Although, they did take control over large areas of Sarhad in Balochistan, and collected taxes, they ended up keeping most of it themselves, and in due time many took to the ways of the locals; plundering, robbery, kidnapping for ransom, and murder, and in order to strengthen their positions formed alliances with other Baloch and Pashtun tribes via marriages.

The inhospitable terrain and isolation of Balochistan, made it easy for Kurd tribes, many times accompanied by Baloch and Pashtun tribes, to conduct raids in Isfahan, yezd, and other areas, and retreat to their abodes, as the Persian army would not even bother pursuing them.

This is why In genetics tests, SE Kurds (Kurds of Sarhad) tend to cluster with Baloch and Pashtuns, and visa versa.

In due time, most tribes of Balochistan submitted to the Kurds authority, and even as late as the 1890s Karim Khan, the Kurd sardar of all the tribes of Sarhad, as recognized by the Shah, controlled a large area. The only tribe that never submitted to the Kurds, and never paid them taxes, that I am aware of, were the Yar Ahmadzai Baloch, who always were a thorn in their side. Eventually, the Yar Ahmadzai took control of large areas away from the Kurds, with some Kurds moving to Pakistan as a result, although many had moved much earlier to the Bolan pass area in Pakistan, and the Helmand river area in Afghanistan, and established their control there. FYI, many Kurd and Baloch tribe names end in zai. Zoy (plural zamun) means son, so basically the followers of whoever established the tribe.

In Khorasan, because of their large number, 1-1.5 million, they retained their Kurdi language to date. Here, their main mission seems to have been to defend Iran's eastern border from Uzbek invaders, although I heard that many Kurds helped Ahmad Shah Durrani gain Afghanistan's independence from Persia in the 18th century.

In Balochistan, however, because of their smaller numbers, and being a minority, Kurdi started being hybridized with Balochi, and most by know speak Balochi, although at the time of my great grand-parents in the 19th century, Kurdi was still spoken by some in pockets around Taftan Karwanda, and Khash formerly known as Washt in Iranian Balochistan. Also, many Kurds there identify as Baloch, but are fully aware of their ancestry, and have retained the last name Kurd.

I'll post some references later today for those interested.
    Last edited by Kurd; 04-26-2017 at 10:34 PM.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (04-27-2017), Kaşmius (04-27-2017), khanabadoshi (04-27-2017), Kulin (04-27-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (04-27-2017), Reza (04-27-2017), Varun R (04-27-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ibex retter; Der Nomad
    mtDNA
    U2b2

Afghanistan United States of America Germany Greater Khorasan Dravida Nadu Azad Baluchistan
    where is the video? or Is it just my browser?
    Do not get upset with people or situations ~ both are powerless without your reaction. Buddha

Namaste

9. The Following User Says Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Kaşmius (04-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    where is the video? or Is it just my browser?
    It looks good on this end. It maybe your browser.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

Kaşmius (04-27-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Potohari Rajput
    Nationality
    Pakistani-American

Afghanistan Pashtunistan Sikh Empire Pakistan India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    The area seems like a very interesting part of the world to live in. At least an excluded area in the middle of Baluchistan. Seems exotic and exciting. I always liked Asian deserts.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaşmius For This Useful Post:

Kurd (04-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

One of the references for the above is Gazetteer of Persia Vol 4, Gevernment Printing, Calcutta, 1892. https://books.google.com/books?id=QN...page&q&f=false

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (04-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

There are many more pages in the book that deal with Kurds. Refer to the book for more info.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (04-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Kurd; 04-27-2017 at 01:09 PM.