Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: FTDNA my origins 2.0 failure......

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA
    J1c

United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEochaidh View Post
    Here ya go, plus a Eurogenes K32 PCA plot map. Do remember that I have recent French Canadian ancestry 25%. My maternal grandmother was a native born Quebecoise whose first language was French. My mother's paternal side was from Belfast as was my my father.

Attachment 15364Attachment 15366Attachment 15367Attachment 15368
    MacEochaidh, they don't make it easy. Finally had the time to review the thread. Seems the discussions have produced more questions than answers. Too bad we can't have a Q&A with the pop. geneticists who referenced this pinwheel of discovery. I try to keep an open mind concerning DNA and stay away from personal opinion, for it can quickly cloud the truth. That said, all of these admixtures are totally based on opinion with its various silvers of truth neatly wrapped in conjecture. If I want to be Welsh, I have an admixture for that, Irish no problem, as a matter of fact I can be any ancestry derived within the British Isles, which for me was a good thing. It proved autosomally, I am 98% a Brit. Growing up I was told different, but always knew the fit was not right. A previous post went along the lines of what difference does it make if you're 98% British? For me it made all the difference in the world. That percentage alone was worth the time and investment. It recently provided me with concrete information to approach my wife of 42 yrs. and for the first time tell her the man she knew, as my father, was not. I had many decades to prepare for my results, but for those who experience the emotional upheaval of questionable patronage, my heart goes out to you.

I've recently started to research my mum's line and found Irish, Scottish, and English ancestors. My Scottish ancestors are from Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire, and Ross-Shire. All my Irish ancestors immigrated to Great Britain in the mid 1800's. Some to the lowlands of Scotland and one marrying a Londoner, this may be where part of my English may come from. It is interesting to note that livingdna matches much of what I have uncovered. The balance of the results may be correct, but for now will remain a question mark until a paternal match materializes.

I've included my results for comparison. MacEochaidh, my grandmother, Irish of course, was a Docherty (O'Dochartaigh), sound familiar? My map places me a little northwest of you.

IMG_1524.jpgIMG_1525.jpgIMG_1526.jpgIMG_1527.jpgIMG_1523.jpg

Joe

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

MacEochaidh (04-21-2017), sktibo (04-21-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA
    T2g1

Ireland Scotland France
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerijoe View Post
    MacEochaidh, they don't make it easy. Finally had the time to review the thread. Seems the discussions have produced more questions than answers. Too bad we can't have a Q&A with the pop. geneticists who referenced this pinwheel of discovery. I try to keep an open mind concerning DNA and stay away from personal opinion, for it can quickly cloud the truth. That said, all of these admixtures are totally based on opinion with its various silvers of truth neatly wrapped in conjecture. If I want to be Welsh, I have an admixture for that, Irish no problem, as a matter of fact I can be any ancestry derived within the British Isles, which for me was a good thing. It proved autosomally, I am 98% a Brit. Growing up I was told different, but always knew the fit was not right. A previous post went along the lines of what difference does it make if you're 98% British? For me it made all the difference in the world. That percentage alone was worth the time and investment. It recently provided me with concrete information to approach my wife of 42 yrs. and for the first time tell her the man she knew, as my father, was not. I had many decades to prepare for my results, but for those who experience the emotional upheaval of questionable patronage, my heart goes out to you.

I've recently started to research my mum's line and found Irish, Scottish, and English ancestors. My Scottish ancestors are from Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire, and Ross-Shire. All my Irish ancestors immigrated to Great Britain in the mid 1800's. Some to the lowlands of Scotland and one marrying a Londoner, this may be where part of my English may come from. It is interesting to note that livingdna matches much of what I have uncovered. The balance of the results may be correct, but for now will remain a question mark until a paternal match materializes.

I've included my results for comparison. MacEochaidh, my grandmother, Irish of course, was a Docherty (O'Dochartaigh), sound familiar? My map places me a little northwest of you.

IMG_1524.jpgIMG_1525.jpgIMG_1526.jpgIMG_1527.jpgIMG_1523.jpg

Joe
    Thanks, Joe, it appears we are not far off from each other in our autosomal results. This only gives me more reason for me to be astonished at my receiving only 4% Isles on myOrigins 2.0. I also can't see any reason for receiving 96% Western & Central Euro on myOrigins 2.0. As a man with three grandparents from Belfast I realize that I have a greater chance for English ancestry that many parts of Ireland, but nothing points to my Belfast ancestors being from the Western & Central European Continent. Also, I can't see how my 25% French Canadian ancestry can cause a score of 96% Western & Central European.

The biggest problem I have is trying to make sense of the senseless The FTDNA myOrigins 2.0 is a failure.
    Last edited by MacEochaidh; 04-21-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Denis Doherty, b. 1789, Eskaheen, Donegal Ireland.
    mtDNA T2g1 MDKA Francoise Arguin, b. 1698, Camaret-Sur-Mer, Bretagne, France

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011