Thread: Genes Connected with Hair going darker with age? Facial hair versus [head] hair?

Banned
    Sex
    The airport staff told me this was North America.
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Undecided
    Y-DNA
    R1b (R-M222)
    mtDNA
    V2a

Scotland England Wales Ireland Sweden Norway Kven

Genes Connected with Hair going darker with age? Facial hair versus [head] hair?

I am just curious if there's any genetic association with hair going darker with age. Or even any, regardless of how silly they might seem, that might associate.

I mean I was born white-blonde, stayed blonde until my early teens. Nowadays my hair is such a rich/dark brown that it looks black unless I am standing in good/high light.

On the reverse two of my brothers, like dad, stayed blonde. One is light blonde, the other dirty blonde.

For the second question > one of my cousins has a head of dark brown/black hair & his beard is red.

Thanks in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Calas For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (04-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF13*
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    I think it must be a whole range of genes that turn on/off as you age, in a similar way that lactose tolerance turns off as you get older for most people. I was born blond, then since age 5 or so I was jet black and now I am a good mixture of copper red, blond, brown, black and gray hair etc... 23andme predicted me to be a red head, which I am not as an example.. I know the trend of being born with light hair is quite common not just for Europeans both also for people from west Asia etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

Observer (04-01-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 Rox2
    mtDNA
    U5b3f

United States of America Norway Sweden Wales England Germany Bayern
    Might be a genetic association; my mother was platinum as a child, by her teenage years her hair was dark brown/black. My daughter has followed the same pattern; her hair was very blond as a child but by the age of twelve or so it had become the same dark brown/black my mother had.

Banned
    Sex
    The airport staff told me this was North America.
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Undecided
    Y-DNA
    R1b (R-M222)
    mtDNA
    V2a

Scotland England Wales Ireland Sweden Norway Kven
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirio100 View Post
    Might be a genetic association.
    Likely is. I fully expect my son to follow suit & his blonde hair to go darker with age (his father's hair is not quite blonde anymore).

But my question is why? I mentioned two of my brothers staying blonde like dad, my husband's sister is very pale blonde versus his reddish light brown/rather dirty-blonde.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 Rox2
    mtDNA
    U5b3f

United States of America Norway Sweden Wales England Germany Bayern
    I suspect it's something along the lines of what governs eye color, for instance--there are quite a few genes involved in that. My dad had light brown hair as a child, and then very dark brown (nearly black) hair as an adult, that turned blinding white in old age. My mother, as I said, was blond as a child then very dark hair as an adult. I have three sisters--two were blond as children but their hair never darkened beyond what was called ash blonde, and two of us had dark hair as children that stayed dark brown as adults. Oddly enough I had dark brown hair with a red undertone, even though I don't have any of the genes for red hair. My daughter was the child blonde with very dark hair now, and my son had dark brown hair at birth that is even darker now. Their father had dark hair as a child and as an adult.

I suspect that hair color comes from an assemblage of genes, not just one, just as eye color does.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Son of Burgundy
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    U152-Z36
    mtDNA
    H1c1

France
    Seen similar phenomenons in my family, i was as blonde as my sisters as a child then turned really dark brown, even a year or two with very reddishs tones in my teens. My sisterS got even more blonde naturally with time. Pretty strange mechanics i think with hairs, unlike eyes.
    Community 3D Scatterplots : Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mestace For This Useful Post:

evon (04-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a2
    mtDNA
    H5a1g1

United Kingdom Netherlands Friesland Mauritius China India Madagascar
    All my dad's kids had blonde hair when they were younger. Out of the 9 of us (I have 8 half siblings) most have gone a dirty blonde except 2 sisters who have gone light brown. Mine started out dirty blonde and is now very dark brown/black like my mum's.
    AncestryDNA - 77% European, 12% Asian, 9% African, 1% Native American, 1% Pacific Islander
    23andme - 78.7% European, 10.2% East Asian and Native American, 7.5% Subsaharan African, 2.7% South Asian, 0.1% North African, 0.8% unassigned
    DNA.Land - 77% West Eurasian, 12% East Asian, 9.7% African, 1.9% Ambiguous
    DNA Tribes - 72.6% European, 10.4% Subsaharan African, 7.8% Asian, 7.1% South Asian, 2.1% Amerindian