Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H

Italy Sicily Portugal Poland Cape Verde
    Of the Madeirans I've seen, their SSA ranged from 4.9% to 0.5%, with most around 2-3%. I assume some of this is directly from slavery (West Africans bought to Madeira) and some of it is due to more recent ancestry from Cape Verde.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Iberian
    Nationality
    (Northern) Portuguese

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by sweuro View Post
    Spaniards tend to be more basque-shifted than portuguese.
    Generally yes, but there's also a trend towards Central Europe in Catalonia, according to most analysis on Eurogenes.
    That said, Davidski's qpAdm of Iberia - a shame he used Lengyel for Farmers instead of something more closely related to us - hints that the Portuguese have higher amounts of 'steppe', which is why they generally plot to the East of average Spaniards. It appears West Iberians also have a little bit more North African, but the levels are small anyway. Adding that Basque-related stuff in Spain makes the Portuguese trend towards North Italians (thus to the "SE") when compared to their brotherly neighbours.
    Last edited by Ruderico; 06-23-2017 at 02:13 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (06-29-2017), fished (06-23-2017), Vivaldi4Stagioni (06-23-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Iberian
    Nationality
    (Northern) Portuguese

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Again on the topic of Basque-related ancestry, LukaszM posted a K36 PCA in which this seems to be a thing.
    The Portuguese are the further away from Basques than all mainland Spaniards, which shouldn't be too surprising. Notice the interesting linear placing of these guys: Basques, La Rioja, SW_France, Cantabria, Aragón, Catalonia, Valencia, Asturias, Andalucia, Galicia, Portugal. Very clearly the geographically closer they are to Basques, the genetically more related they are.

Speculation ahead. This might be partially due to repopulating movements during the reconquista, in which people from the north were brought to 'populate' the south, and would have been more genetically closer to Basques than Andalucians/etc. I don't expect these northerners to have been the majority in most places, but it might have contributed to the spread of this higher Basque-related ancestry in most of Spain. In the West, due to geographical (and historical) separation from Basques, this repopulation would have a much more limited effect. That and pre-Roman Iberian-related ancestry, naturally.

I honestly don't know what else to read of it, tbh, I was expecting a bit more 'horizontal' variation within Iberia. I was also expeting North Italians to be placed closer to France and Iberia, for instance. No idea what's going on with Canarians. But then again I'm mostly a layman when it comes to genetic analysis, so I'll leave this sort of study to the usual residents of the forum, should they ever decide to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ruderico; 06-28-2017 at 02:02 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

fished (06-28-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    Again on the topic of Basque-related ancestry, LukaszM posted a K36 PCA in which this seems to be a thing.
    The Portuguese are the further away from Basques than all mainland Spaniards, which shouldn't be too surprising. Notice the interesting linear placing of these guys: Basques, La Rioja, SW_France, Cantabria, Aragón, Catalonia, Valencia, Asturias, Andalucia, Galicia, Portugal. Very clearly the geographically closer they are to Basques, the genetically more related they are.

Speculation ahead. This might be partially due to repopulating movements during the reconquista, in which people from the north were brought to 'populate' the south, and would have been more genetically closer to Basques than Andalucians/etc. I don't expect these northerners to have been the majority in most places, but it might have contributed to the spread of this higher Basque-related ancestry in most of Spain. In the West, due to geographical (and historical) separation from Basques, this repopulation would have a much more limited effect. That and pre-Roman Iberian-related ancestry, naturally.

I honestly don't know what else to read of it, tbh, I was expecting a bit more 'horizontal' variation within Iberia. I was also expeting North Italians to be placed closer to France and Iberia, for instance. No idea what's going on with Canarians. But then again I'm mostly a layman when it comes to genetic analysis, so I'll leave this sort of study to the usual residents of the forum, should they ever decide to do it.
    I agree that post-Reconquista repopulation may have had something of a homogenizing effect on some Spanish populations. In 2018 we'll be seeing a huge ancient DNA paper on Iberia by Carles Lalueza-Fox, with samples from a variety of historical periods and cultures from the Neolithic to medieval times, including Celtiberians, Visigoths, and Muslims. I'm hopeful that this paper could clarify a lot of points regarding the post-Bronze Age population history of Iberia.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fished For This Useful Post:

Ruderico (06-28-2017), Shadogowah (07-24-2017), Underworld (06-28-2017), wandering_amorite (08-21-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    british/spanish
    Nationality
    british
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    H6a1b

England Ireland Spain
    why are a number of those iberian 23andme samples showing east Asian/Amerindian ?

Sex

The Amerindian is likely due to back migration from the colonies in the Americas. The East Asian is also likely in part due to back migration from the Asian colonies(It was very common for the Portuguese to marry local women to improve relations and trade with the locals) and also from Asian slaves that were imported and later absorbed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234