PDA

View Full Version : Number of Matches at 111 Markers

GoldenHind
01-05-2017, 07:24 PM
I encountered someone in the R-P312 Project today who has 83 matches at 111 STR markers. I only have two at 12 and five at 67 markers. While I haven't made a thorough investigation, this is certainly highly unusual. Is this a record? Does anyone have or know of someone who has a greater number of 111 marker matches?

Although this person has not done any SNP testing and is only predicted R-M269, his matches indicate he is highly likely to be L21>M222. He has a not uncommon Scottish surname. A quick look through his matches shows they are predominantly of Scottish and Irish origin, though there is a wide variety of surnames amongst them.

My guess is this is largely a reflection of the extraordinary overweighting of Irish and Scottish samples in the FTDNA database, which I commented on in another thread.

Dewsloth
01-05-2017, 07:29 PM
I'm with you: the only person that matches me above 12 is my dad; and nobody other than him at 12 is even listed as a DF19.

Ancient-Alien
10-17-2017, 07:50 AM
FTDNA shows me no matches even on 12 markers and i did it all way up to Y111 and there is not a single match.

Also no one from my autosomal relatives shares my HG, even on Gedmatch where i match 2000 people none has my HG. :)

Michał
10-17-2017, 09:59 AM
I encountered someone in the R-P312 Project today who has 83 matches at 111 STR markers. I only have two at 12 and five at 67 markers. While I haven't made a thorough investigation, this is certainly highly unusual. Is this a record? Does anyone have or know of someone who has a greater number of 111 marker matches?
I know a couple of people from the Ashkenazi Levite clade R1a-Y2619 who have more matches. The highest number I have seen is 220 matches at 111 STRs, although I am not sure whether this is a record for this entire group.

My guess is this is largely a reflection of the extraordinary overweighting of Irish and Scottish samples in the FTDNA database, which I commented on in another thread.
The same is true for the Ashkenazi Jews who are strongly "overrepresented" among the FTDNA customers. Also, clade R1a-Y2619 underwent a relatively recent expansion (its TMRCA age is only 1400 years, according to YFull), which additionally contributes to that relatively high number of matches.

msmarjoribanks
10-17-2017, 12:57 PM
My dad has thousands of 12 matches, but only 3 for 67 (one of them is GD 0, has not tested higher), and none for 111. He's R1b-L21, but then a less common subclade within it, which I figured explains the huge drop off.

Dewsloth
10-17-2017, 07:03 PM
I'm with you: the only person that matches me above 12 is my dad; and nobody other than him at 12 is even listed as a DF19.

Just to update, my Big Y results show a subclade below Z17112 with three families all with MDKAs in a 22mi/35km-sided triangle north of Wiesbaden, Germany.

According to the group admins' analysis, the subclade seems to have formed around 400AD Migration Period (Z17112 formed around the Bronze Age "collapse" of 1200BC), and the three of us are too far apart STR-wise to be what FTDNA considers matches.

So I still don't have any matches above 12 for anyone except my father. :)

But at least I have a pretty good hint that either the families have been in the area for a long while, or they all migrated from another common area after a more recent population upheaval event like the 30 Years War.