PDA

View Full Version : Cognoms Catalans

Jean M
08-10-2012, 12:58 PM
COGNOMS CATALANS (http://cognoms.upf.edu/)
Estudi genčtic dels cognoms catalans, valencians i balears

This project aims to use the variation in the Y chromosome to study the origins of 50 surnames found in Catalonia, Valencia and the Balearic Islands. These names include some of Germanic, Arabic and Hebrew origin linguistically. The project is directed by Francesc Calafell, David Comas and Jaume Bertranpetit and was funded by the Institute of Catalan Studies. They are relying on volunteers to come forward to be tested. The names:

Adell
Albert, Aubert
Alemany
Armengol, Armengou, Amengual
Balasch
Bonastre
Bosch
Cabot
Calafell
Cardona
Casajuana, Casajoana
Codina, Codines, Codinas
Comas, Comes, Coma
Danés, Dančs
Estruch
Ferrer, Ferré, Farré, Ferrés, Farrés
Fortuny
Gasull, Gassull
Grau, Garau
Gual, Gol
Guasch, Gasch, Guarch, Guasp
Llach
Mas
Massot, Masot
Maymó, Maimó
Melis
Miquel
Moragues, Moragas
Nŕcher
Nadal, de Nadal
Oriol
Pitarch, Pitart
Pons
Raga
Reixach, Rexach, Reixachs, Rexachs
Ricart
Robert, Rubert
Roig
Roma
Ros
Sabater, Sabaté, Sabatés, Sabaters
Sala
Salom
Santacana
Serra
Soler, Solé, Sulé
Taberner, Taberné, Taverner, Taverné
Tió, Thió
Vidal
Vives

Jean M
05-23-2014, 04:38 PM
The project is complete and the first scientific publication is out.

Neus Solé-Morata, Jaume Bertranpetit, David Comas and Francesc Calafell, Recent Radiation of R-M269 and High Y-STR Haplotype Resemblance Confirmed, Annals of Human Genetics, first published online: 13 May 2014. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ahg.12066/abstract

It is behind a paywall, without even an abstract on view, but here is a translation of a summary the project put on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Un-atles-gen%C3%A8tic-dels-cognoms-catalans/196361010451654

This is a review we published in the British journal Annals of Human Genetics. In a previous article, Larmuseau and collaborators found that haplotypes of the Y chromosomes belonging to haplogroup R1b are very similar to each other, making it difficult to distinguish the sub-branches. We attribute this to a recent expansion of this haplogroup, but wonder if this phenomenon also occurs in the rest of Western Europe, where R1b is very common.

In our review, we confirm that this pattern is also found in our samples of Catalan, Valencian and Balearic Islands, with the exception of the branch R1b-Z220 (which also includes R1b-Z278 and R1b-M153), which can be distinguished for some typical variations in their haplotypes. Indeed this branch (along with parental R1b and R1b-Z195-SRY2627) is very typical of the peninsula and the Balearic Islands, rarely beyond.

RCO
05-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Free supporting information
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ahg.12066/suppinfo

Subhaplogroup Number Frequency (%)
R-L23* 1 0.1
R-P311* 5 0.4
R-U106* 21 1.8
R-Z381 36 3.1
R-P312* 187 16.3
R-L21* 62 5.4
R-U152 100 8.7
R-Z195* 66 5.7
R-SRY2627 108 9.4
R-Z220* 115 10.0
R-Z268* 3 0.3
R-Z278* 42 3.7
R-M153 12 1.0
Total R-L23 758 66.0

vettor
05-23-2014, 07:58 PM
COGNOMS CATALANS (http://cognoms.upf.edu/)
Estudi genčtic dels cognoms catalans, valencians i balears

This project aims to use the variation in the Y chromosome to study the origins of 50 surnames found in Catalonia, Valencia and the Balearic Islands. These names include some of Germanic, Arabic and Hebrew origin linguistically. The project is directed by Francesc Calafell, David Comas and Jaume Bertranpetit and was funded by the Institute of Catalan Studies. They are relying on volunteers to come forward to be tested. The names:

Adell
Albert, Aubert
Alemany
Armengol, Armengou, Amengual
Balasch
Bonastre
Bosch
Cabot
Calafell
Cardona
Casajuana, Casajoana
Codina, Codines, Codinas
Comas, Comes, Coma
Danés, Dančs
Estruch
Ferrer, Ferré, Farré, Ferrés, Farrés
Fortuny
Gasull, Gassull
Grau, Garau
Gual, Gol
Guasch, Gasch, Guarch, Guasp
Llach
Mas
Massot, Masot
Maymó, Maimó
Melis
Miquel
Moragues, Moragas
Nŕcher
Nadal, de Nadal
Oriol
Pitarch, Pitart
Pons
Raga
Reixach, Rexach, Reixachs, Rexachs
Ricart
Robert, Rubert
Roig
Roma
Ros
Sabater, Sabaté, Sabatés, Sabaters
Sala
Salom
Santacana
Serra
Soler, Solé, Sulé
Taberner, Taberné, Taverner, Taverné
Tió, Thió
Vidal
Vives

Many of these are northern Italian names

Bonastre
Cabot ................venetian sea explorer in the services of England............Zuanne Cabot ...........or sometimes Cabotto ( an extension of a surname)
Cardona ............my great great grand-mother surname on my maternal side .............tracked lineage to 17th century in Northern italy
Comas, Comes, Coma ........................also associated with Comin, surname of the famous painter, Tintoretto
Ferrer, Ferré, ............ ...............iron worker
Mas
Masot
Nacher
Nadal, de Nadal ....................means Christmas in north italian language
Raga
Ros ...............................means red............usually has a Da Ros ..........from red
Sala
Serra ..................or Sera
Soler .................sometimes with double L
Taverner .......also spelt Taverna
Vidal ..................famous writer who's ancestors came from north italy

R.Rocca
05-23-2014, 11:00 PM

R-L23* 1 0.1
R-P311* 5 0.4
R-U106* 21 1.8
R-Z381 36 3.1
R-P312* 187 16.3
R-L21* 62 5.4
R-U152 100 8.7
R-Z195* 66 5.7
R-SRY2627 108 9.4
R-Z220* 115 10.0
R-Z268* 3 0.3
R-Z278* 42 3.7
R-M153 12 1.0
Total R-L23 758 66.0

Since DF27 itself was not tested, we can deduce that DF27 frequency in NE Spain is at a minimum of 30.1%, and at a maximum 46.4%. Based on what we've seen in other testing it is likely close to the maximum. Also noteworthy is the extremely small amount of L23*, P311 and L51 which is lso the case in Basque Country.

Gray Fox
05-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Since DF27 itself was not tested, we can deduce that DF27 frequency in NE Spain is at a minimum of 30.1%, and at a maximum 46.4%. Based on what we've seen in other testing it is likely close to the maximum. Also noteworthy is the extremely small amount of L23*, P311 and L51 which is lso the case in Basque Country.

Does this trend continue as one moves northwest into Galicia etc.?

ADW_1981
05-24-2014, 02:08 AM
I would be interested in seeing how the YDNA lines up with the surnames, and the breakdown of the non-R1b lineages among the surnames too.

Jean M
05-24-2014, 09:33 AM
The project website gives an outline of the results for each surname (in Catalan). I translate a few to illustrate that they found multiple lineages per surname. I have picked out those which mention a specific haplogroup.

Alemany [German] is a surname common in geographically dispersed Catalonia and Mallorca (Andratx especially) and the Valencia region of Marina Alta, Ribera Alta Safor and Alicantino. According to Moll, a native of Germany, but in the tenth century is found [I]Alaman as a forename. In 1553 hearth tax is a Francis Alemany Robau at Mollet d’Empordŕ and a Joan Alamany Asnar at Horta de Sant Joan. Three French immigrants (Occitans) in Barcelona in 1637 are called Alamany. Currently, the form Alamany is very rare: names carried by only 36 people, mostly in Barcelona and Vallčs.

We found that 71 Alemany volunteers are descendants of 20 different ancestors. Of haplogroups (Y chromosome type) more abundant in Germany, only one is found (R1b - U152) in one of these founders; therefore, most Alemanys are not descendants of Germans, but the name Alemany should be derived from the old name Alaman....

Guasch is a moderately common name, particularly in Conflent Alt Camp and Conca de Barbera , Ibiza and Formentera and Teacher. Mallorca is frequent form Guasp Gasch and Cerdanya and Alt Urgell. [Meaning] native of Gascony. We find an example among French immigrants in 1637 hearth tax.

We found that 75 volunteers Guasch are descendants of 22 different ancestors 22. Of haplogroups (Y chromosome type) that are clearly more frequent in the Gascony than Catalonia, only one is found (I2 - M223) as the founder of a Gasch lineage. However, many haplogroups are common between the two areas, and we can not rule out, especially within the haplogroup R1b, that there may be other founders from Gascony....

Llach. An uncommon surname, typical of la Garrotxa, Pla de l’Estany, Gerona and Perpignan. We find an example among French immigrants in 1637 hearth tax.

We were able to get results from all 26 volunteers for this surname, which belong to eight different lineages (lineage group in the sense of people descended from a common ancestor). This is a moderately high genetic diversity for a relatively common name. We see that the Llachs of the Gironne [?] region belong to four different lineages ... and the individual lineages are Llach Pyrenees ( lineage 6 ) of Berguedá (7) and Castellón ( 8). Importantly, the founder of the lineage 1 belonged to haplogroup C * , which is found in high frequencies in East Asia, and in Europe there is hardly beyond Eastern Europe. Among the more than 400 founding lineages that we have analyzed so far, this is the only one we've found C * .

Maimó. An uncommon surname, with irregular distribution in Catalonia but more frequent in Mallorca, especially in Felanitx, Ariany Lloret de Vistalegre. Maymó form is more prevalent in the Principality. [Meaning] Arabic or Hebrew Maimun can mean "happy", " faithful, constant" or "Yemeni" (since Yemen was the Happy Arabia). In the fourteenth century, in Montuiri (Mallorca ), a Jacob ben Maymó is renamed Peter Onis.

We were able to get results of 28 of the 29 volunteers for this surname, which belong to 12 different lineages (lineage group in the sense of people descended from a common ancestor). The lineage 7 encompasses virtually all Maimons of Mallorca; belongs to haplogroup R1b - SRY2627, the frequency of which is higher in Catalonia. Therefore, it is more likely to have a peninsular origin than an Arabic or Jewish. Only one lineage, carried by two volunteers around Barcelona and Vallčs Oriental, had a haplogroup E - M81, very common in North Africa and suggests a North African origin.

Melis . A rare surname: in Catalonia is almost exclusively Garrigues, while it is more common in Mallorca, especially in Manacor, Sant Llorenç des Cardassar and Capdepera. It is derived from Arabic personal name Mahli.

We have 23 results from 24 volunteers of this name, which have proved to belong to six different lineages... The Melis of Mallorca almost all belong to the lineage 5, as well as some of the Safor; So we see another example of the repopulation of the area of Mallorca after the expulsion of the Moors. The lineage 5 carries haplogroup R1b U152, which rules out an Arabic origin, as this haplogroup is almost absent in North Africa; however, it could indicate another source for the Melis of Mallorca: the Melis surname is very common in Sardinia, although R1b - U152 is not as abundant as in northern Italy, it is more common there than in Catalonia.

Nŕcher. A surname only common in Valencia, especially in l’Horta Sud, Albaida Valley, and the Plain of Castellón. Derived from the Arabic name Nağğar.

We have 23 results from 24 volunteers of this name, which have proved to belong to nine different lineages... Thus, lineage one is common in the Coast and Valley Albaida, lineage 3 in Masanasa and the city of Valencia, and 4 and also the Cap i Casal. Although none of it belongs to Y haplogroup lineages more common in North Africa, the first lineage belongs to haplogroup J1-M267*, very common in the Arabian Peninsula, and 2 lineages, 3 and 4 belong to J2a-M410*, also very common in the Middle East. Therefore, it is possible that some two-thirds of current Nŕchers are descendants of the Moors.

Roma. A rare surname. In Catalonia it has two foci, at Ripollčs Osona, and la Noguera i el Pla d’Urgell. Derived from the Italian city.

We have results from 35 of the 39 volunteers of this name, and have proved to belong to 12 different lineages... Most volunteers from Cataluya Central, Osona and northern Lower Llobregat belong to the lineage 3; other Roma from Osona form lineage 1. Romas from the west grouped in lineage 9, which belongs to haplogroup R1b-U152, very common in north and central Italy. We have also analyzed (almost accidentally) some Roma from Alicante, which are genetically distinct from any of the other Roma.

Ros. A ubiquitous surname..... Originated from the nickname that describes the color of the hair. In 969 there is an Exemeno Roso at Cervelló, in 999 a Vifredus Rosso at Urgellet, and in 1029 a Witardo Ross also at Urgellet. It should be noted however, that at this time it was not hereditary. As a real surname, it was already among the most common in Barcelona in 1389. Additional French immigrants brought it to Barcelona in the early seventeenth century.

We have 62 results from 66 volunteers of this name, which have proved to belong to 43 different lineages... This large number of different lineages suggests a genetic heterogeneity result of high frequency of the surname and its origin as a nickname. We emphasize only lineage 18, which includes most of the Ros volunteers in Alt Penedčs and the Lower Llobregat. Note that 28% of the founders of Ros surname belong to haplogroups I1 - M253* or R1b - L21* which are more common in Northern and Eastern Europe, while in the general population, these types of Y chromosome found in a lower frequency (15 %).

Salom . Rare surname. .. From the Hebrew shalom, meaning ' peace '.

We have results from 41 of the 44 volunteers of this name, which have proved to belong to 13 different lineages. 85% of the Saloms of Mallorca belong to one of four lineages;one lineage includes almost all Saloms of Montsiá and Castile, and another is characteristic of Carcagente. Three lineages (7 , 8 and 9 , broadcast on Mallorca and Menorca Carcagente) belong to haplogroup E- M81 which was much more common in North Africa than catalonia, while lines 10, 11 and 12 basically Mallorcan haplogroups appear more prevalent among Sephardic Jews than Mallorcans. Therefore, 56% of Salom volunteers could have North African or Jewish ancestors.

Jean M
05-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Many of these are northern Italian names

Not exclusively. Given that Catalan and Italian are both romance languages (derived from Latin), you can expect some similar surnames with the same meaning in both regions, for example Cabot, Ferrer, Nadal and Taberner/Taverner. Ros or similar is found as a surname derived from a nickname for the red-haired even in Britain, for it came with the Normans. The only name in the Catalan list which actually denotes someone from Italy is Roma.

palamede
05-24-2014, 12:28 PM

R-L23* 1 0.1
R-P311* 5 0.4
R-U106* 21 1.8
R-Z381 36 3.1
R-P312* 187 16.3
R-L21* 62 5.4
R-U152 100 8.7
R-Z195* 66 5.7
R-SRY2627 108 9.4
R-Z220* 115 10.0
R-Z268* 3 0.3
R-Z278* 42 3.7
R-M153 12 1.0
Total R-L23 758 66.0
To compare with a sum of studies in http://iberianroots.com/Statistics/spain.html

Balearic Islands__ n=209__ R1b 72,2% __E* 7,66%__ E-M81 0,96%__G 6,70%__I* 3,35%__ I-M26 0,00%__ J*+J2 4,31%__ J1 0,00%__ T1a 0,00%__ R1a 0,48%__ K* 4,31%
Catalonia_______n=390______ 72,57%____2,25%________0,51%____5,90%____3,0%_____ ___1,75%_______8,71%_____0,26%______0,51%______2,0 5%_____2,67%__C 0,51%
Valencia________n=131______63,96%_____5,34%_______ _2,29%____0,76%____5,34%_______0,00%_______8,40%__ __10,65%____C 2,27%

Aragon________n=75________66,33%_____1,33%________ 2,67%____1,33%____10,67%______5,33%_______9,33%___ ___0,00%_____1,33%______1,33%

Valencia (Myres)__ n=113__ U106 0,9%__P312(xL21,U152) 32,7%__ L21 0,9% __ U152 6,2%__ L23* 1,8%__L51 1,8%__ L11 1,8% __Total R1b=46% (??)
Valencia (Busby)__n=168________2,4%_________________47,6%__ ___7,1%_______7,1%___ Total 64,2%

ADW_1981
05-24-2014, 01:37 PM
The project website gives an outline of the results for each surname (in Catalan). I translate a few to illustrate that they found multiple lineages per surname. I have picked out those which mention a specific haplogroup.

Wonder if the C is C1a2?

Jean M
05-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Wonder if the C is C1a2?

That is what I wondered.

rms2
05-24-2014, 02:01 PM
I heard about this study and some of the results back in January from Pere Roma, who is Catalonian and L21+>DF63+ (DF13-). He swore me to secrecy, however, so I could not say anything about it. :frusty:

vettor
05-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Not exclusively. Given that Catalan and Italian are both romance languages (derived from Latin), you can expect some similar surnames with the same meaning in both regions, for example Cabot, Ferrer, Nadal and Taberner/Taverner. Ros or similar is found as a surname derived from a nickname for the red-haired even in Britain, for it came with the Normans. The only name in the Catalan list which actually denotes someone from Italy is Roma.

north italian, south french ( occitan ), and catalan in languages are related from ancient times ...........I communicate with my cousin in toulouse france via his occitan and my venetian ( its about 60% similar) he does not know Italian.

catalan word for drinking glass is Goto......exact same word and meaning in venetian
southern french word for apple is Pom .....in northern italian its Pomo .............in Italian it's Mela

You should investigate the catalan trouperdours

plimosner
10-24-2015, 06:15 AM
Hello,

I am Pilar Limosner.

The Grand daughter of Enric Limosner Asencio and Laura Miquel Humbert
My Father was Enrique Limosner Miquel.

I was the first of our family not born on the island

I visited Mi Tia Adelfa in Mao three times. Walking in the streets I had for the first time the experience of looking exactly like everybody else.
(Tourists excluded.)

As I never looked even remotely American, finding people I looked like was a big deal for me.

Somos Primos!
Take my DNA please!

I also have my Father's DNA test taken just before he died if that helps you.

My Father's DNA test shows that he was a little bit Jewish.

Something the Family always denied.

In addition to being Jewish my Father's DNA shows is that the Minorcans never met a sailor they didn't like.

My Father's DNA checked every ethnic box except for Native North American.

No surprise. It was a Maritime world.

I can even picture the travel plans of my unexpected Korean and Mongolian ancestors.

But how the hell did that Aborigine get in there? What boat was he on?

No wonder Americans think I look like a Space Alien. I must take after Great Gret Grand Tio Pep from the Pleiades

I think the Y chromosome is just the tip of the Minorcan DNA iceberg lying dead ahead.

If you would like my DNA can you recommend a test site?

Thanks

Pilar Limosner

lgmayka
10-24-2015, 09:49 AM
If you would like my DNA can you recommend a test site?
With which testing company did your father test? And which test(s) did he take?

Jean M
10-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Hello

Welcome to the forum Pilar. I have no personal connection with the study of Catalan surnames discussed on this thread. That project has now finished, as you can see in the questions and answers here: http://cognoms.upf.edu/el-projecte/

Com s’hi pot participar?

Ja no s’hi pot participar. El projecte ja ha finalitzat.

That need not stop you from getting your DNA tested through a commercial firm. You could perhaps get some recommendations in the Commercial Testing part of this forum: http://www.anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?140-Other

Sounds like you have an interesting genetic heritage. :)

plimosner
10-26-2015, 04:19 AM
Thank you for your reply.
I will do so
Pilar

plimosner
10-26-2015, 05:24 AM
Thanks for your reply,
It was DNA Spectrum.
Apparently DNA Spectrum did something very wrong because they have gone out of business .
On DNA Spectrum I could only review my Father’s DNA report on line.
No hard copy available.
I know what I read.
However, not being sable to print it out, I have no proof.
No wonder DNA Spectrum was shut down.

This disappointment leaves me with two very important questions.

First,
Is it possible to test DNA from Remains ?
I have 10% of my Father’s ashes I was planing to spread in the Sea off of Ciutadella during the next Festival of St. Joan.

Should I test them before I spread them?

Second,
Is testing my Father’s remains redundant?
Will testing my own DNA tell me everything I really want to know about my Family's genetic past?

Any information you can give me will would be very much appreciated .

Pilar

plimosner
10-26-2015, 06:36 AM
In addition,

Since the project is finished, could you direct me to where the results of this project might be found?
I would very much appreciate any information about my Family.

Thank you,

Pilar

Jean M
10-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Since the project is finished, could you direct me to where the results of this project might be found?

The results are on the website for the project: http://cognoms.upf.edu/ The text is in Catalan. I listed all the surnames that they studied in the first post of this thread. As you see, the surnames you have given for your family are not included.