PDA

View Full Version : Can you find other relatives Y dna from your autosomal?

Principe
05-07-2017, 12:54 AM
As the title states, I was looking at my Y snp's from ftdna, and I noticed I was positive for some snp's that were not on my line, I even went on Yfull to see if I'm positive for these results, and I am they were in the ambiguous section, are these false? Or is it picking up the Y passed down from other ancestors like maternal grandfather or grandmother's father, etc...?

JerryS.
05-07-2017, 01:02 AM
im not sure but as I understand it, Y DNA traced up with go to your father, his father, his father and so on. it will not go to your father, to his mother, to her father. it is strictly Paternal so all the men on your father's mom's side are left out.

Principe
05-07-2017, 01:10 AM
im not sure but as I understand it, Y DNA traced up with go to your father, his father, his father and so on. it will not go to your father, to his mother, to her father. it is strictly Paternal so all the men on your father's mom's side are left out.

That's not the question, the thing is other Y haplogroup snps were picked up, in autosomal I want to know if it means something.

RobertCasey
05-07-2017, 02:26 AM
23andme, Ancestry.com, NatGeo and others use chip array technology which can produce inconsistent results. Also, these tests are very old and there has been many corrections to the haplotree as well which is not reflected in their tests. There are also issues with YFULL haplotrees and even FTDNA haplotrees as well. Plus the older tests (23andme and Ancestry.com) use their own naming convention which varies between testing companies.

It would help if you would post your YSNP results and what you have issues with. Many do forget that 23andme and Ancestry.com have very limited YSNP testing as well as their atDNA testing.

Principe
05-07-2017, 02:44 AM
23andme, Ancestry.com, NatGeo and others use chip array technology which can produce inconsistent results. Also, these tests are very old and there has been many corrections to the haplotree as well which is not reflected in their tests. There are also issues with YFULL haplotrees and even FTDNA haplotrees as well. Plus the older tests (23andme and Ancestry.com) use their own naming convention which varies between testing companies.

It would help if you would post your YSNP results and what you have issues with. Many do forget that 23andme and Ancestry.com have very limited YSNP testing as well as their atDNA testing.

I know my line, I did big Y and did the snp pack beforehand, transferred my results to Yfull, for my Y I know as much as I need to, my question is it possible that those extra snps that are not on my Y line other haplogroups that my other lines carried?

geebee
05-07-2017, 04:04 AM
Y SNPs are found only on the Y chromosome. Therefore, you can only inherit them as part of a Y chromosome. They cannot be found anywhere in the 22 autosomes, or on the X chromosome.

That means that the only Y SNPs you have are those you received from your father, who received them only from his father, and so on.

EDIT: Think of it this way. Mothers have no Y SNPs at all, so they can't pass any on. You only have one unbroken line of fathers to sons, and that's your Y line.

Where you may be getting confused is that 23andMe's testing is generally thought of as autosomal. In fact, that's just part of it. They also test the X and Y chromosomes, which are not autosomes. And they test mtDNA, which is also not autosomal.

Unfortunately, their Y chromosome testing is very limited, both because they don't test for an adequate number of haplogroup-defining SNPs, and because they're still using an outdated haplotree.

But once again, no testing you can have done on yourself can give you any Y SNP data for any other line but the line of your father's father's father's father's (etc.).

RobertCasey
05-07-2017, 04:12 AM
I know my line, I did big Y and did the snp pack beforehand, transferred my results to Yfull, for my Y I know as much as I need to, my question is it possible that those extra snps that are not on my Y line other haplogroups that my other lines carried?

Are you talking about YSNPs that are in the 23andme test or the Big Y test ? If you are talking about YSNPs from the 23andme test that do not show in your VCF file of the Big Y, there are a lot of YSNP mutations that go by a lot of different names - even though they are the same mutation. You really need to let us know which databases / files that you are comparing. You now have mentioned Big Y (VCF files), YFULL database (which creates a lot of Y SNP labels that already have names), 23andme which is in the old style long format and need careful cross referencing or the FTDNA haplotree, ISOGG haplotree, etc.

Go to YBrowse for YSNPs that have many names:

http://ybrowse.org/gb2/gbrowse/chrY/?

RobertCasey
05-07-2017, 04:20 AM
Y SNPs are found only on the Y chromosome. Therefore, you can only inherit them as part of a Y chromosome. They cannot be found anywhere in the 22 autosomes, or on the X chromosome.

The tests from 23andme and Ancestry.com contain both atDNA results and YSNP results (YDNA testing). Although the YSNP testing is very limited and dated in these tests, there are YSNP testing in both of these tests.

Principe
05-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Are you talking about YSNPs that are in the 23andme test or the Big Y test ? If you are talking about YSNPs from the 23andme test that do not show in your VCF file of the Big Y, there are a lot of YSNP mutations that go by a lot of different names - even though they are the same mutation. You really need to let us know which databases / files that you are comparing. You now have mentioned Big Y (VCF files), YFULL database (which creates a lot of Y SNP labels that already have names), 23andme which is in the old style long format and need careful cross referencing or the FTDNA haplotree, ISOGG haplotree, etc.

Go to YBrowse for YSNPs that have many names:

http://ybrowse.org/gb2/gbrowse/chrY/?

I originally did my test with Nat Geo, then transferred my results to ftdna, my Y line is J-L210>J-Z489>J-Z482>J-Y15222, in this case it would be nat geo.